Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
How can i disallow for anyone else on the ethernet network to access either the files of my mac or the the files on my usb/ext hd drive that is connected to it? Let me note that i do not have admin rights on that mac and that mac is connected to the network via ethernet.

Last edited:

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
You tell the owner to secure it. IMO that behavior is unacceptable in a computer in 2018 when pretty much anything is networked: a regular user can’t even trust their own home network fully.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Challenging to change much without admin rights. You may be able to set some folder level permissions, but I would have to test to see what you can do without admin control.

There are lots of ways to secure data on a Mac, and by default (unless they have been changed) other non-admin users should not be able to see your data outside of a few, specific by-design public folders. Again, without admin control, it is challenging.

And...if an admin wants to abuse their power, they can snoop on anything. Are you trying to keep things private from an admin user, or other general (non-admin) users?

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
is this a work or home environment?
if work just keep a clean drive with only files for work, or just unplug the Ethernet when you use your HD movie needed files on to local drive then unplug HD and re plug Ethernet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.