Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphonique

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2014
Just like to share a bad experience with the Zagg screen protector for iPad. I purchased one recently for my iPad Air screen and was really disapointed with the ease of installation, compared with the simpler ones out there. I was not aware I had to use a spray liquid during the installation process - I would have avoided it if I knew from the start. I am sure the protector does its job and am very happy with my other Zagg product I purchased at the same time (the Zagg folio keyboard protector for iPad), but I must say for the price of the screen film protector it's really not worth all that trouble !
I pretty much followed instructions, and after dousing the film in spray as suggested (carefuly removing any drips that might get onto/into my iPad) I positioned the film on the squeaky clean screen and proceeded to install as recommended. Just as I was partially finished and using the squigy I noticed a visible speck of dust and tried to remove it, for some time, to no avail. Actually it seems it was on the adhesive side, and likely there before installation (I made sure that all was clean before so I was supprised that this appeared just at installation). After all the trouble I was not able to remove the speck, not from the inside, nor the outside, and finally gave up on the installation as I knew there were better protectors out there from previous experience with screen protectors for the iPhone 5 etc.
Would not recommed if you want to install yourself and don't want to get messy with spray liquids and that ... best to keep away from any humidity at all, any electronic devices, especially if you' ve just forked out 600 bucks or so ... I proceeded to throw it in the bin and did not waste any time to purchase a glass one from iLoome instead as I know this worked well on my iPhone ...
Hope it helps some with avoiding unnecessay waste of money and valuable time ...

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
This loooong known. They are good protection if you can handle the install and dont mind the orange peel effect.

Look at TechArmor crystal on Amazon.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
They put my zagg shield on for me with a lifetime warranty. There is no bubbles at all. you can see an orange peel effect if you hold it up to the light but you cant see it during use and its 100x better then bubbles. I love mine. The only downside to zagg shields in my opinion is they eat the rubber nibs on capacitive pens.

Valinor

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013
Dont like the zagg-like screenprotectors at all. After a little while they get dirty and yellow. Also the surface becomes irregular with little dents.
I'll rather use a cheap chinese screenprotector, then buying a zagg-like screenprotector ever again. (Tried all the big brands)
Spend some more and get a tempered glass screenprotector, they rule.
Only problem is that they are really pricey for tablets :( Got mine on black friday so that saved me alot.
For phones they are cheaper and you should definitely get one. I recommend Spigen, also have the bodyguardz glass protector which is also good but the spigen is awesome.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
Dont like the zagg-like screenprotectors at all. After a little while they get dirty and yellow. Also the surface becomes irregular with little dents.
I'll rather use a cheap chinese screenprotector, then buying a zagg-like screenprotector ever again. (Tried all the big brands)
Spend some more and get a tempered glass screenprotector, they rule.
Only problem is that they are really pricey for tablets :( Got mine on black friday so that saved me alot.
For phones they are cheaper and you should definitely get one. I recommend Spigen, also have the bodyguardz glass protector which is also good but the spigen is awesome.

exactly what is happening to my gf's zagg right now...on her white ipad screen, i have one on my old iphone 5 but it hides the imperfections and aging because its black ive moved on to their glass screen protector and i have to say it actually is a great product with great clarity

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Years ago I had bought zaggs for my blackberries/droids because they were the 'best'...

After a while couldn't stand the distortion of the screen, the way my finger would 'stick' while swiping, the messy, pain-in-the-ass install, etc.

Echoing the feeling of others above - ordered a set of the Tech Armor HD ( 2 for $9.95) from amazon for my iPad Air. It's great - got it installed in less than 2 minutes. Image quality is fantastic and feels like glass while swiping, etc. Highly recommend it thus far.

alexander2020

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2014
disapointed with Zagg screen protector for iPad

Have you tried Gearmaxx screen protector yet? I have one on my phone and the screen looks divine. There are no bubbles and its pretty easy to install by yourself. It has been a few weeks and I haven't noticed any color shifting on my screen. I suggest you buy it from ebay, They provide great deals and they even ship for FREE!! :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-iPad-...eReader_Screen_Protectors&hash=item2a337d3025

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Recently upgraded my HD screen protector from my iPad mini with retina to the new Zagg 'Glass' protector. I had the protector installed at the zagg kiosk at my local mall.

The new protector was expensive but it is so much better than the HD model. You literally cannot even tell that it is on the ipad.

Highly recommended!! Get it installed if possible by zagg. It's well worth the small installation fee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.