Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
My elderly parents own an aging late-2013 MacBook Pro, 13-inch, Intel Core i5 processor, currently running MacOS Mojave. This machine is getting very long-in-tooth and will eventually have to be replaced.

In the meantime, they've been running into some problems.

1: The machine must remain plugged-in, all the time. If you unplug it to move it somewhere else, the instant you plug it back in, it sounds like it is rebooting and the display looks like it once it is opened. The battery indicator consistently reads 0%. This started a few weeks ago.I assume the computer's battery has gone bad.

2: Another weird problem arose in recent weeks: the cursor / pointer frequently disappears, making operations difficult. This often happens when launching a new app or switching between apps. The only cure I have found is to keep maneuvering the invisible pointer until I can get it to the top of an app window, then click in an area where there is nothing. Sometimes clicking in the menu bar at the very top of the display helps, sometimes it doesn't.

What's gone wrong? Is there anything I can do to correct it?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I believe you can go to the Accessibility preference pane, then...

Increase the cursor size to make it easier to see and find...
and...
Put a check into the box "shake mouse pointer to locate".

I have also seen some situations in which the pointer just "disappears" until you move it -- then it re-appears. Don't know why.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.