Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlesbronsen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Toronto, Ont
This was the first time I ever heard Steve present and I was looking forward to hearing him unveil the iPad. I must say the device itself seems pretty nice and there will defiantly be a market for it. I was rather bored listening to Steve present though. I thought the guy who did the keynote last year did a much better job. Did anyone else find Steve to be kind of boring?

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
He just seemed relaxed. Just using the device as anyone would. Honestly, I think he is pretty into the thing which explains why the keynote felt a little dull.

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2009
I got bored and turned it off. It was like he wrote the thing right before he got on stage.

"oh ****, I forgot I have a keynote! What to do... Oh, I know. Ill browse my photos, and maybe watch a video. And go through my address book! They have never seen that before. Oh, and browse some web pages... NY Times should be good, I bet that will render wonderfully. I don't think they use any flash do they?"

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
He definitely missed points that would've sold me on the iPad.

-GPS on the 3G
-VGA out (but it was off hand mentioned by Phil)
-Bluetooth keyboard support
-VoiceOver/Zoom (Accessibility) [I want my email read to me]

Questions unanswered:
-Magazines???? I want official word if iBooks will do that
-Where's Stocks, Weather, Voice Memos and the frickin' Calculator apps?

Finally,
How the heck will I play Ocarina on this thing????

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I really liked that the demo of the web-browser was briefly turned into us viewers basically just watching Steve chill out on the couch while reading stuff on the web.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
I felt the same way watching the keynote, bored, and then I finally figured out what was wrong with Steve's keynote.

In the past Steve just shows us a product, tells us about it, and demos it. People get excited on their own because the device is so cool all by itself, he doesn't need to sell us on it because we already want it. Like a .16" laptop, a touch screen phone/iPod, the most powerful desktop computer, a slim all in one computer, a gorgeous aluminum laptop with 8 hour battery life.

However with the iPad keynote he was trying very hard to convince us to buy an iPad, he was constantly trying to get people excited about the device. He was trying to justify the existance of a device that serves no purpose. It maybe better at the web and photos, but besides that it is not portable like an iPhone and is too limited to compete with a netbook, not to mention a MacBook. It is not revolutionary, and it didn't have anything new. It was overhyped in every way, because despite the rumors everyone was expecting the tablet to have that one more thing, that no one expected that would make it awesome and set it apart, but it didn't it just turned out to be a big iPod touch.

hackum

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2009
I felt the same way watching the keynote, bored, and then I finally figured out what was wrong with Steve's keynote.

In the past Steve just shows us a product, tells us about it, and demos it. People get excited on their own because the device is so cool all by itself, he doesn't need to sell us on it because we already want it. Like a .16" laptop, a touch screen phone/iPod, the most powerful desktop computer, a slim all in one computer, a gorgeous aluminum laptop with 8 hour battery life.

However with the iPad keynote he was trying very hard to convince us to buy an iPad, he was constantly trying to get people excited about the device. He was trying to justify the existance of a device that serves no purpose. It maybe better at the web and photos, but besides that it is not portable like an iPhone and is too limited to compete with a netbook, not to mention a MacBook. It is not revolutionary, and it didn't have anything new. It was overhyped in every way, because despite the rumors everyone was expecting the tablet to have that one more thing, that no one expected that would make it awesome and set it apart, but it didn't it just turned out to be a big iPod touch.

true that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.