Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
*raises hand*

I use my iPhones caseless and no screen protector. Have for years.
Outlier.

Which is fine, cool, but for the other 99% of us, the aesthetic of an iPhone is about the OEM cases Apple comes out with, not the phone. I bought the 15 over the 15 Pro because I thought the Clay case would look better with the black camera array than the natural titanium, true story.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
I have dropped the SE3 (and continue to drop it) way more than I dropped the 5s and SE1 combined. The SE3 is like a bar of soap compared to the 5s/SE1.
I get that! I bought my mom the SE2…I think it’s the same design as the SE3? And…it’s like a bar of soap too…would never use it without a case.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I’d be that only a very small percentage of people use their phones ”case-less”. For the vast majority….they’re only going to see the back/side of the phone when they 1) First pull it out of the box before slapping a case on it. 2) Take the case off to sell it.

Exactly.

Apple, and these endless YouTubers too, have got to stop thinking that a) we buy a new iPhone every year and b) use them caseless. All this talk about titanium and fingerprints and color choices? LOL, doesn't matter to anyone but a handful of outliers.

What matters to the typical iPhone buyer is a) storage capacity, b) battery life, and c) OEM case choices. Even the stupid camera doesn't matter to us anymore, the photos are awesome enough already, all this new camera did was increase file size which makes them a PITA to text and a PITA to store.

Like I said, iPhone's are benign glass rectangles now. What actually matters are the cases that Apple chooses to offer us and advancements in the OS. The cases this year are downright awful, colors and materials are brutal. The OS enhancements are good. I would have stayed in my 12 if AT&T didn't give me 15's for free.

Reactions: DSTOFEL

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
Outlier.

Which is fine, cool, but for the other 99% of us, the aesthetic of an iPhone is about the OEM cases Apple comes out with, not the phone. I bought the 15 over the 15 Pro because I thought the Clay case would look better with the black camera array than the natural titanium, true story.

For 99% of people who uses cases, it's more about the fear of breaking an expensive phone, not because cases are an "aesthetic."

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
What matters to the typical iPhone buyer is a) storage capacity, b) battery life, and c) OEM case choices. Even the stupid camera doesn't matter to us anymore, the photos are awesome enough already, all this new camera did was increase file size which makes them a PITA to text and a PITA to store.

The new camera upgrades are fantastic. The new video features have finally made it so that I can use an iPhone for professional video use. Couldn't do that until the 15 Pro.

Reactions: redbeard331

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
For 99% of people who uses cases, it's more about the fear of breaking an expensive phone, not because cases are an "aesthetic."

Definitely, no doubt.

But once you are a case person, the case becomes the biggest aestetic decision, not the phone itself. And this becomes more and more important as the years go by and the year-over-year changes become even less and less meaningful.

After a week of use, my iPhone 15 is no different than my iPhone 12 other than the case is a deeper shade of black and the camera array has a cool glossy finish. The glass rectangle is the same glass rectangle, Facebook is still Facebook, the dynamic island is cute, that's about it.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
The new camera upgrades are fantastic. The new video features have finally made it so that I can use an iPhone for professional video use. Couldn't do that until the 15 Pro.

Ah, but that's YouTuber speak and Apple speak all over again. Like them, you're a video professional, so that matters to you. It's just that out here in the real world there are fewer of you than there are caseless people, we're talking fractions of a single percentage. Yet you have all the voice, get all the attention.

Two weeks ago when I was making my purchase decision there were 100s of videos about the Pro and the Pro Max and not a single video about the standard iPhone 15. It's the most popular phone, just an afterthought to YouTubers. And cases? Barely any coverage at all, treated like no one uses them. It's bizarre out out of sync that industry is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.