Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rydenfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
I have to admit that I expected there to be far more really good apps for the iPad by now. Maybe I am being unrealastic but I figured with all of the developers out there that by the first two weeks there would be a flood of amazing apps. I ackowledge that there is come cool stuff, but I would like to see more. What are your thoughts?

orangerock

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
Kind of where I thought it would be at this point. Lost of people are going to forced to "keep up" and produce some killer apps sooner rather than later.

Jinkst

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2008
Sydney, AUS
When the original App Store was released we didn't see a flood of amazing apps. In time we will see some great things coming through.

Right now im satisfied with what I've been able to load on to my iPad.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Yeah, I don't get it either. There was a flood of releases right around launch, which is to be expected. But I would thought a good number would continue to be released since many developers probably waited until the iPad was actually released before finishing their apps. So either developers are just taking their time releasing new apps, or maybe Apple took a long break in approving apps after the WIFI launch?

GamecockMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2005
Columbia, SC
I have to admit that I expected there to be far more really good apps for the iPad by now. Maybe I am being unrealastic but I figured with all of the developers out there that by the first two weeks there would be a flood of amazing apps. I ackowledge that there is come cool stuff, but I would like to see more. What are your thoughts?

Yes, you're being unrealistic.

VTMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008

You are being completely unrealistic. Despite the Apple hype, creating apps that actually take advantage of the iPad screen real estate requires darn near a ground up rewrite of the UI of applications. But in most apps, just changing the UI won't make it better, it will just make it bigger and different. To really make a great iPad app requires completely reevaluating existing apps (or starting from scratch) and asking what could/should I that I didn't previously because of the limited screen size. Building a great iPad app is much more similar to building a great desktop app than it is to building a great iPhone app. Hence you're going to see prices and timeframes between releases somewhere between your typical desktop app and your typical iphone app.

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2008
Give the devs some time...

1) the new screen size means that if they're porting over from iPhone, they have to rethink some of their UI design, make new graphics, possible change their app workflows.

2) most probably still don't HAVE iPads to test their apps out on. That makes it tough to know that their app is going to work 100% perfect the way they want. The simulator works, but there are limitations - (namely, you can't do anything with the accelerometer, the Location service only ever shows the location as apple's HQ, etc.) You need the real device to do final testing on.

3) It's going to take a bit of time for people to really get the hang of what the Pad can do that the Phone/Pod can't do. That's when you'll see the really interesting stuff come out.

I remember when the 3G iPhones came out (I was 2nd in line!)... For the first month or two 90% of the apps that were out either were little crappy things, or came from huge shops like EA Games and thus had gotten a ton of help from Apple. As the dev community got more experience with the API's and such, better stuff started coming out. Give them TIME!

By Xmas time I'm sure we'll have more apps for the Pad than we know what to do with!

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I also think devs are now holding back in the hopes of hitting the app store around the 30th when the 3G's arrive and hundreds of thousands of new owners are poking around looking to spend some coin...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.