Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Had my phone since the day they went on sale, and STILL no ichat. We are stuck with either having to hack our phones, or using a web based Im client that cuts you off every time you put your phone on standby.

Everyone was asking for ichat before the phone was even released, and they still have no even so much as given us the IDEA that its in concept.

I just dont get it I guess.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Had my phone since the day they went on sale, and STILL no ichat. We are stuck with either having to hack our phones, or using a web based Im client that cuts you off every time you put your phone on standby.

Everyone was asking for ichat before the phone was even released, and they still have no even so much as given us the IDEA that its in concept.

Did they say they were going to include iChat? No. You're just expecting them to release it because you want it. You need to lower your expectations to avoid being disappointed.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Did they say they were going to include iChat? No. You're just expecting them to release it because you want it. You need to lower your expectations to avoid being disappointed.

agreed.
never said that it was included. would it be nice? sure.
calm down.

rbroady

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
obviusly saving ichat for the new wi-fi ipod next wednesday, ichat is a computer device not a phone device:)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Here's what a VP that works for Electronic Arts says about it, and I think it makes a lot of sense. I doubt we'll be waiting for new models of iPhones before we start to see new applications, but I also don't think that Apple feels that the iPhone platform is completely stable yet.

"We're huge believers in the iPhone and believe that's going to be a viable market going forward," said Travis Boatman, vice president of worldwide studios for the mobile division of EA. "It has an amazing interface for games and there are lots of beautiful things you can do with that touch interface."

Boatman, however, acknowledged that Apple's initial priority with the iPhone is to stabilize the platform at its core before branching out into new areas, similar to the way it handle the iPod during its infancy.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/08/27/game_developer_popcap_eyes_apples_iphone.html

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
i too want ichat. i've hacked my phone to install third party apps, but they are essentially useless since they quit if you hit the home button. i hope apple decides to release it. i have a feeling they will as well as flash for the iphone, but i think they are waiting till leopard.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
The only programs I could see Apple releasing any time soon are ones shown in:

/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj/LocalizedApplicationNames.string

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>com.apple.MobileAddressBook</key>
	<string>[B]Address Book[/B]</string>
	<key>com.apple.MobileSMS</key>
	<string>Text</string>
	<key>com.apple.Preferences</key>
	<string>Settings</string>
	<key>com.apple.calculator</key>
	<string>Calculator</string>
	<key>com.apple.mobile.radio</key>
	<string>[B]Radio[/B]</string>
	<key>com.apple.mobilecal</key>
	<string>Calender</string>
	<key>com.apple.mobileipod</key>
	<string>iPod</string>
	<key>com.apple.mobileipod-Movie</key>
	<string>[B]Movies[/B]</string>
	<key>com.apple.mobilemail</key>
	<string>Mail</string>
	<key>com.apple.mobilenotes</key>
	<string>Notes</string>
	<key>com.apple.mobilephone</key>
	<string>Phone</string>
	<key>com.apple.mobilesafari</key>
	<string>Safari</string>
	<key>com.apple.mobileslideshow-Camera</key>
	<string>Camera</string>
	<key>com.apple.mobileslideshow-Photos</key>
	<string>Photos</string>
	<key>com.apple.mobiletimer</key>
	<string>Clock</string>
	<key>com.apple.purple.KeyboardDemo</key>
	<string>Demo</string>
	<key>com.apple.stocks</key>
	<string>Stocks</string>
	<key>com.apple.unitconverter</key>
	<string>[B]Unit Converter[/B]</string>
	<key>com.apple.weather</key>
	<string>Weather</string>
	<key>com.apple.widget.phonebook</key>
	<string>[B]Phonebook[/B]</string>
	<key>com.apple.widget.translation</key>
	<string>[B]Translator[/B]</string>
	<key>com.apple.youtube</key>
	<string>YouTube</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I'm not sure if Address Book is part of Phone, or if Movies is part of iPod, but the others are totally plausible. Radio would be internet radio I guess. :confused:

But what other explanation is there that these things are in this file?

bennyboi

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
West Coast
ichat is a computer device not a phone device:)

That's quite possibly the most ridiculous thing said here. People are using a wide variety of smart phones to Chat instead of text. I feel people have come to expect it from their phones actually. For apple to have internet capability, a makeshift querty keyboard, and OS X on the phone- where's the iChat? I agree, and furthermore, will not purchase one until it IS on there.

And don't tell him to calm down, he paid 600 bucks. He has the right as a consumer, and to belittle people for wanting features, well, you've officially entered the Gates (Bill) of PC Hell.

BTW, Why hasn't anyone pointed out the obvious theory that maybe AT&T begged Apple to not allow iChat so they can rack up text message fees. I mean, SMS looks like iChat, makes the sound like iChat, but be careful to not go over your limit! And, no buddy groups. I have several groups of aim'rs professional and friend and benefit greatly by accessing them when mobile.

EDIT - also, maybe AT&T has the fear that once iChat is available, why not iChat using voice? Then they're missing out on SMS and minutes. They'd have to prorate their data plans and send 1400 page bills detailing every kilobite (yes, yes, I know it stopped so don't reply to that. sheesh)

Viva iChat on iPhone!!!! :p

Tramjaw

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
Chicago
its been two months..give it some time.
If by macworld there's still nothing.. I'll be right there with you..pitchfolk in hand.

Btw..we don't really want to delay leopard any more, do we?;)

MyJelleo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2007
its been two months..give it some time.
If by macworld there's still nothing.. I'll be right there with you..pitchfolk in hand.

Btw..we don't really want to delay leopard any more, do we?;)

I'm fairly certain that Apple pulled people off of the iphone development team and onto the completion of Leopard, so big updates for the iphone are at a stand still.

I'm more than fairly certain that we'll start seeing major updates after leopard is released.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
The only programs I could see Apple releasing any time soon are ones shown in:

/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj/LocalizedApplicationNames.string

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>com.apple.MobileAddressBook</key>
	<string>[B]Address Book[/B]</string>
	<key>com.apple.MobileSMS</key>
	<string>Text</string>
	<key>com.apple.Preferences</key>
	<string>Settings</string>
	<key>com.apple.calculator</key>
	<string>Calculator</string>
	<key>com.apple.mobile.radio</key>
	<string>[B]Radio[/B]</string>
	<key>com.apple.mobilecal</key>
	<string>Calender</string>
	<key>com.apple.mobileipod</key>
	<string>iPod</string>
	<key>com.apple.mobileipod-Movie</key>
	<string>[B]Movies[/B]</string>
	<key>com.apple.mobilemail</key>
	<string>Mail</string>
	<key>com.apple.mobilenotes</key>
	<string>Notes</string>
	<key>com.apple.mobilephone</key>
	<string>Phone</string>
	<key>com.apple.mobilesafari</key>
	<string>Safari</string>
	<key>com.apple.mobileslideshow-Camera</key>
	<string>Camera</string>
	<key>com.apple.mobileslideshow-Photos</key>
	<string>Photos</string>
	<key>com.apple.mobiletimer</key>
	<string>Clock</string>
	<key>com.apple.purple.KeyboardDemo</key>
	<string>Demo</string>
	<key>com.apple.stocks</key>
	<string>Stocks</string>
	<key>com.apple.unitconverter</key>
	<string>[B]Unit Converter[/B]</string>
	<key>com.apple.weather</key>
	<string>Weather</string>
	<key>com.apple.widget.phonebook</key>
	<string>[B]Phonebook[/B]</string>
	<key>com.apple.widget.translation</key>
	<string>[B]Translator[/B]</string>
	<key>com.apple.youtube</key>
	<string>YouTube</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I'm not sure if Address Book is part of Phone, or if Movies is part of iPod, but the others are totally plausible. Radio would be internet radio I guess. :confused:

But what other explanation is there that these things are in this file?

radio does interest me as well. i doubt it would be internet radio as EDGE will have spotty streaming and it will ruin battery life. i dunno if there's an FM tuner in the iphone or not. i dont see how internet radio would be practical. it would be a useless feature if it was added. i can see unit converter coming .. but address book makes no sense seeing as the phone app already has contacts.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
however, with the event next week, we could see an iphone update as well as ipod announcements. it could include whatever new functions the ipod gets to add them to the iphone as well. it may not include ichat, but we'll see.

MyJelleo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2007
Keep your hopes extremely low. Assume that the iphone will stay the same for the next 5 years. If you do this, every small update will make you happy.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
radio does interest me as well. i doubt it would be internet radio as EDGE will have spotty streaming and it will ruin battery life. i dunno if there's an FM tuner in the iphone or not. i dont see how internet radio would be practical. it would be a useless feature if it was added. i can see unit converter coming .. but address book makes no sense seeing as the phone app already has contacts.

Radio app could easily be the interface for Apple's radio accessory (I have one, and it doesn't currently work with iPhone, but I don't think there's a reason why it wouldn't, other than Apple not having the software support for it written and tested yet).

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...or using a web based Im client that cuts you off every time you put your phone on standby...

FlickIM keeps you connected and if it senses that your phone is in standby it will send you a sms alert when you get a new chat. It also automatically reconnects you when you go back to the window.

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
I agree, we need an ichat im app from Apple. I do believe ATT had something to do with the non implimentation.
We need a MMS deal also. Last night I recieved 8 picture messages from friends, and had to go through the ridiculous and gigantic pain in the a** process of going to ATT's website, remembering the specific caller id and password and then waiting for the picture to appear on my iphone. Is this the only phone that cant recieve MMS messages?

iLeoMarc

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
Anyone tried ApolloIM yet? I am gonna give it a shot but advance reviews from real-world users are always nice.

ApolloIM is getting there. But do realize it is still a very eary release. They are in Version -.9, the second released so far. Still very basic (not much bugs here, but there were some reports that people have been getting). Right now they only offer AIM with the very basic features. Staying connected seems to be in the right track, even when pressing the home screen; improved from the first release. Not sure how long I have stayed connected but I did get disconnected a few times (but it does warn you of a lost in connection). There is currently no warning of incoming messages either visual or audio; but the developer is promising on that. I am having some issue on getting my entire buddy list to show up. But other then being basic, it is working. Can't wait to see it fully develop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.