Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
I charge overnight, so the speed/timing does not matter. What bugs me is that I've had at least 3 or 4 incidents where my 8+ somehow slipped out of the proper alignment on the charger and didn't charge or stopped charging.

BluPrynt78

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2014
Colorado Springs
I picked up the Mophie Wireless Charge pad on the X launch. Used it for a day and got the same results as my Apple 5W wall adapter.
I returned it and spent the money for the Type C combo.
I'm VERY HAPPY now!!!

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
I picked up the Mophie Wireless Charge pad on the X launch. Used it for a day and got the same results as my Apple 5W wall adapter.
I returned it and spent the money for the Type C combo.
I'm VERY HAPPY now!!!

That's because the current max for Wireless is 5 watts and the charger you get with the phone is 5W, the software update to up the max for wireless to 7.5 watts hasn't been pushed out yet.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
To be clear, Qi charging on the iPhone X is a max of 5W performance right now. You can get even less than that if using low-quality power adapters, or through poor placement on the charger, or if using it while charging.

Eventually, an update will bring it to 7.5W, but best practices still apply.

Regardless, I don't care about the speed of wireless charging at all, because it is 100% about convenience and not about matching and exceeding all of the benefits of wired charging.
“Convenience” for me is having my phone charge in a timely manner. I don’t need a fast charger, but I certainly don’t want a slow charger. The current standard charge time works just fine for me. I’d want wireless to at least match that.

cwilliams706

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
Columbus, GA
I purchased a standard Qi charger from eBay, it does take awhile for the charging cycle to complete with it. I’m interested in seeing what the fast charging mode will be like when Apple releases the software update.

Spidesol

macrumors member
May 26, 2009
Dallas, TX
I use the iPad wall plug with a CHOETECH Qi Certified T511 Qi Wireless Charger Pad and I get about 50% charge in 30 min. This is on an iPhone X

tecnho

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Another related question for you all, if it's in a cradle wirelessly charging, will plugging in the lighting cable damage anything? I may have to supplement with the lightning cable, but would hate to have to unplug my wireless dock every time I did that.

I would like to know the answer to this as well.

Reactions: spinedoc77

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I just use the iPad 12w charger for my “fast” charging moments in need.
I think the 12 W charger is plenty fast for the iPhone. I just ordered the fast charger but only really for my iPad Pro as it takes an age to charge up with the 12 W adapter. I doubt I will use the fast charger much with my iPhone X.

From what I’ve read there isn’t much difference between the standard 5 W wireless charging and the 7.5 W wireless charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: iApple_man

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
wireless charging not intended to be fast or quick
It’s good in certain situations. But is not the charging method of choice

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Slower charging is actually better for prolonged battery life. And with all the bitching and crying about throttling. Regular (not fast) charging should be a positive point.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.