Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arnolds1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
I know I am late to the Magsafe charging world but I recently started using Magsafe extensively to charge my phones wirelessly. I noticed that the official Magsafe charger only supplies the promised 15watts for a short burst of time and then drops down to charging at 7.5w once it and the phone heats.

Instead an aftermarket magsafe charger (from Best buy essentials lineup) charged at almost a constant 7.5w and costed 3 times less the the official one. IMO, this is one of the rare instances in which I found where the official apple accessory was not superior enough to warrant the premium price.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
Not sure I get your complaint? The Best Buy charger charged slower and never hit 15W and you're upset?

EDIT: I re-read and see you're basing it on a per-capita thing... well, sometimes the Apple will do 15W longer depending on your phone's battery level and maintenance. It sounds like the MagSafe charger dropped from 15 to 7.5 because it helps protect your battery.

Reactions: Treebark

Khavik

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2023
If You need to charge Your phone realy fast go cable - it generates less heat which mean less charge slow downs. I charge my phone wirelessly every night, almost never rush but if I do I go cable

Reactions: babalougots
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.