Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
So I got my iPad Pro on Monday. While I really quite like it, the battery life seems disappointing. I took it to a full charge yesterday, and have been using it moderately since then - a mix of heavy and light use. Usage involved Apple Pencil in notes and Procreate, some YouTube, web browsing, a bit of Minecraft, and the News app. I'm currently at 43% battery after only 3 hours and 52 minutes (20 hours standby). I admit I was at full brightness for a couple hours this morning, but it's been sitting at ~60% for half that time.

My experience with other iPads has been an easy 10 hours of battery life no matter what. Does the Pro have worse battery life than other iPads in your experience? What are you guys finding? Do I need to drain it in full once to "calibrate" the battery better?

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Give it a couple of charge cycles to settle in...I'm getting 10 hours roughly, and while it could be better, it's been enough to last a day or two between charges.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
Give it a couple of charge cycles to settle in...I'm getting 10 hours roughly, and while it could be better, it's been enough to last a day or two between charges.

Thanks, I'll do that. Currently at 29% after 5 hours. Just streaming Spotify until it dies. Definitely seems off - batetry usage is showing 20% spent on Notes over only 35 minutes. That seems crazy and impossible to me.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
Set at full brightness with wifi, cellular, and bluetooth on and playing a movie over and over, my iPad mini 4 stays on for slightly less than 6 hours (and my mini 2 for less than that). I think the longer times people experience assume one isn't using full brightness.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Give it more time. The battery should improve/increase over the next couple of weeks. Initially my ipad batteries have been suspect, but have improved significantly over the initial few weeks of usage

Last edited:

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
Give it more time. The battery should improve/increase over the next couple of weeks. Initially my ipad batteries have been suspect, but have improved significantly over the initial few weeks of usage

Hope so. Drained it and then gave it a full charge. Now I'm sitting at 53% after only 3 hours and 20 mins of usage. Most web browsing at 60 % brightness. Pretty bad for an Apple device. 7 hours of what I would describe as moderate usage at most.

Last edited:

Mystro

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
Most are getting between 11 and 14 hours of battery life at a screen brightness of 50%.
I get a very reliable 12 hours of Internet usage with location services on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.