Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koobs123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Ive made a few posts but they keep changing everyday because i learn something new that needs to be changed... so here it goes ill try and make this as clear as possible.

here are my settings (all DHCP):

Tethered Iphone
Iphones IP - 169.254.xxx.188
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
DNS - is blank

Airport TCIP settings (ad-hoc network that i created im assuming)
IP: 169.254.xxx.189
subnet: 255.255.255.0
router: 169.254.xxx.188 (same as iphone so i can see its working as a router)
DNS - is empty

I then shared internet connection between the airport ad-hoc connection and build-in-ethernet. firewall is off, windows websharing is on.

A d-link router is hooked up from my laptop. Theoretically if my internet sharing is configured correctly I should be taking the internet im getting on my computer-to-computer ad-hoc network and sharing it over the router wirelessly.

Built-in-Ethernet TCIP settings
IP: 192.168.0.170 (assume its automatically assigned by router?)
subnet: 255.255.255.0
router: 192.168.0.1 (routers IP i use to get to router settings)
DNS: is empty

I want to know two things...

1.what is my DNS? should it be blank? is it automatic? i dont know what its for.
2. and how do i correctly share internet over this wifi router? because both my xbox live (microsoft) and other lap top (windows) are giving me DNS issues.

i wanna rip my hair out.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
The iPhone net share applications all use a socks5 proxy. You'll have to set up all the computers on the network to connect to the phone using the proxy.

The best thing to do is to join the normal wireless network with your iPhone and give it a static IP.

Then tell your laptop or desktop to connect through a proxy server at the IP of the phone. This should work. It worked for me :)

The proxy server setup in OSX is covered in most guides for netshare on the net. This is quite difficult on windows (i just gave up).

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Yeah, your settings are so screwed up I don't even know where to start...

Did you set those 169.x.x.x addresses manually? If so, why? 169 addresses are usually internal IP addresses i.e. no network available. usually 192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x is used.

What makes you think your iPhone will be able to act as a router? Unless you're jailbroken and have some crazy apps installed...

If you don't know your DNS server addresses you can plug in the gateway address, but you'll need to sort your other issues first.

Lastly if you do get this working, expect some bandwidth surcharges from your cell service provider if you use this too much.

jbrandonf

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2008
Lastly if you do get this working, expect some bandwidth surcharges from your cell service provider if you use this too much.

Darth is right, you can't start streaming multiplayer games of Halo 3 over your phone, Att is monitoring accounts that have unusually high bandwidth usage, and especially from servers that iPhones definitely can't access.

What they would do is cancel your data plan without telling you and then charge you per kilobyte, so you could end up owing hundreds or thousands of dollars before you even realized. Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.