Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
I have nearly 1300 plug-ins installed. LPX doesn’t see my UA plugin-ins AT ALL. Not to mention there’s a handful of other plug-ins that just plain will not scan. I have deleted the AU cache and tried to rescan twice. I have also totally reinstalled LPX just for good measure. No go here. I’m staying on 10.12.6 maybe indefinitely. Oh, and I’ve been an engineer and producer for over 20 years. Pretty sure I know what I’m doing. Totally doing a clean install of the OS would be ignorant for me at this point. It takes literally around a week to get all my soft synths and plug-ins all back installed. I’ll stay where I am. Thank God for CCC clones.
Maybe you shouldn't have 1300 plugins? That's just simply silly. There's no way you can honestly expect all of them to survive every OS update.

DPUser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2012
Rancho Bohemia, California
OP has disappeared. Trolling?

As noted earlier, anyone who relies on his or her Mac for business is foolish to try to run that business under a new OS at .0 or .1 release, much less the GM Candidate. To do so is, IMO, simply unprofessional.

I am looking forward experimenting with High Sierra (after safely cloning my known-good startup drive) when it hits .2 or .3. Absent solid early reports of dramatically enhanced DAW performance, there is simply no good reason to jump on the early adopter bandwagon. Unless you REALLY need those new emojis.

Reactions: Jayderek and anp27

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
OP has disappeared. Trolling?

As noted earlier, anyone who relies on his or her Mac for business is foolish to try to run that business under a new OS at .0 or .1 release, much less the GM Candidate. To do so is, IMO, simply unprofessional.

I am looking forward experimenting with High Sierra (after safely cloning my known-good startup drive) when it hits .2 or .3. Absent solid early reports of dramatically enhanced DAW performance, there is simply no good reason to jump on the early adopter bandwagon. Unless you REALLY need those new emojis.

i've been in the apple public beta system for a long time, and, while i never install a beta during, say, the middle of a mix, i enjoy testing the OS, and i enjoy the challenges i sometimes encounter (mostly). it's my choice, and it's never kept me from finishing a project.

the point for anyone, regardless of what they do, or if they install on their work mac (or not); it's a beta program, so if you install a beta, you are commiting to possible issues, madness, darkness and destruction; and possible good moments too. one can be 'professional' and 'adventurous' at the same time; as long as we take responsibilty for our choices.

Autistic Behaviour

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
montreal
i've been in the apple public beta system for a long time, and, while i never install a beta during, say, the middle of a mix, i enjoy testing the OS, and i enjoy the challenges i sometimes encounter (mostly). it's my choice, and it's never kept me from finishing a project.

the point for anyone, regardless of what they do, or if they install on their work mac (or not); it's a beta program, so if you install a beta, you are commiting to possible issues, madness, darkness and destruction; and possible good moments too. one can be 'professional' and 'adventurous' at the same time; as long as we take responsibilty for our choices.

Can we just all agree that everyone must have at least 1 CCC style backup of your system and we all know it? Ideally, 1 of them is for installing the beta on it and boot from it and test.
That being out of the way, when we talk about beta problems, we're just looking for fixs, common bug reports, compatibility problems...There doesnt seem to be a need to pollute these threads with "its a beta!"

Reactions: DPUser

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
So you installed a beta software on a production machine, specifically designed to be tested by people that have signed up to be beta testers so that the issues are kept to a minimum when it is actually released to general public.

Now you are complaining that Apple is testing beta software on people that have signed up to do exactly that?

o_O

Its a gold master smart guy. So by good betting odds this crap will in fact be the official release version.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Ok, I have to agree it is totally a disaster! I mean, it's a massive step backwards & apple has pretty much tied our hands behind our backs & sucker punched us...in the face. How could they do this to us? I didn't sign up for this (except by signing up for the beta) & I expect better. The colors are an absolute disaster & there's absolutely no way to work through. Do you know how much time it took to install this, & now I need to find a way to roll back! Do they expect us to back us & restore? Does Apple Pay (<-hah, auto correct) for CCC for SD for us? I mean what do they expect me (probably the only person who thinks that wallpaper just doesn't work) to do? Change it? Do you know how much work that is? (a click on system preferences, desktop & screensaver, then on the preferred wallpaper) I absolutely refuse to do any more work to fix this on my own! (how many keys did I strike to write this satire?) Time to submit a beta report & ...shoot, I just changed the wallpaper already, oh well, moot point now.

Barking mad

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2017
Its a gold master smart guy. So by good betting odds this crap will in fact be the official release version.

smart guy

its a Gold Master Candidate and still has a beta status check you system info. and GM or Release do not have a letter after the build number

its not the release yet if it does not work when the release version is out then check with you app vendor for updates before you all jump to conclusions who is to blame

as for using a beta software to earn your corn with that is just plain stupid at least wait until the .1 release before doing that

Reactions: anp27

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
GM Candidate. There will be a different build shipped on Monday.
Perhaps once the software you're using has been updated to support 10.13, it'll work better.
Correct here as chrfr stated, and in the past there have been instances of multiple GM builds released prior to a release to public.

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
Sorry dude, but I feel no sympathy for you. You clearly took a risk installing a new OS on a system that you make your living with. You NEVER install a new OS until you're sure all the kinks are worked out and the software you rely on is properly supported. Lesson learned I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jayderek and anp27

Steve Jobs.

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
It's a GM Candidate. It's not for sure the final release build. You should not have installed a beta OS on a production machine.

End of thread. Nothing more needs to be said.

Reactions: groovatious

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
Since someone in this thread mentioned his professionallity, and since I have been working professionally in the audio industry for over 45 years, and since I still do not consider myself as having mastered all there is to master, I think that anyone installing new software, whether GM, beta, official released, or not, a breakthrough update with a new file system or just a minor little mini update, may expect problems.

Therefor such an act should not be considered and act that demonstrates skillful professionalism.

I ALWAYS wait until the manufacturer of my favourite audio editing software says that I can. And I will check with the issuers of the plugins that I have. And then I will still take some extra time for my work because some things may still not work as expected.

I think that it is always good to update, but it is also always good to wait a while.

(And since I am also curious I tried to see what happens to ProTools while my MacBook Pro was High on Sierra. It worked! ;-)

Reactions: willmtaylor

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I ag
It's a GM Candidate. It's not for sure the final release build. You should not have installed a beta OS on a production machine.

End of thread. Nothing more needs to be said.
I agree with you no doubt about it.

But I am worried if Apple doesn't release another GM because the OS is not OK at this point.
Fingers crossed for a release today or tomorrow.

I have it installed on personal test Mac and many things don't work properly.

Reactions: robeddie

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Since someone in this thread mentioned his professionallity, and since I have been working professionally in the audio industry for over 45 years, and since I still do not consider myself as having mastered all there is to master, I think that anyone installing new software, whether GM, beta, official released, or not, a breakthrough update with a new file system or just a minor little mini update, may expect problems.

Therefor such an act should not be considered and act that demonstrates skillful professionalism.

I ALWAYS wait until the manufacturer of my favourite audio editing software says that I can. And I will check with the issuers of the plugins that I have. And then I will still take some extra time for my work because some things may still not work as expected.

I think that it is always good to update, but it is also always good to wait a while.

(And since I am also curious I tried to see what happens to ProTools while my MacBook Pro was High on Sierra. It worked! ;-)

or one can be a professional who's up for the challenges often associated with a beta OS (i know of someone like that :D). i've run apple betas for years, and also: have always finished my projects on time (and, to be honest, have sometimes finished a remix or something and then run the latest beta).

we don't all live by the same rules, and this makes the world an interesting place.

Last edited:
Reactions: willmtaylor

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
No, OP is busy at his studio making big records. Remember, he's been a engineer and producer for over 20 years.
And in all of those 20 years, this is the first software/OS update to mess with audio recording setups. :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1506340871][/doublepost]
CCC should be a requirement with the beta program! Definitely the safest/fastest way to test.
I use an external 128GB SSD as my OS test bed. Not as fast as internal, but still way faster than a spinning disk. Beta installs take roughly 20 minutes. This way I have my production system untouched, and beta system easily moved between different machines for testing.

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
or one can be a professional who's up for the challenges often associated with a beta OS (i know of someone like that :D). i've run apple betas for years, and also: have always finished my projects on time (and, to be honest, have sometimes finished a remix or something and then run the latest beta).

we don't all live by the same rules, and this makes the world an interesting place.

hahahahaha

But is your beta testing behaviour an act of skillful professionalism?

;-)

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
OP has a problem with one, or several of his plugins, I don’t know why he’s surprised (and now vanished). With over 1300 of them that was to be expected. By the way, UA *specifically mentions on their website* that their products are not ready for High Sierra yet.

Oh well...

I haven’t counted all my plugins but I have quite a few, all of them work, both Pro Tools and LPX seem pretty happy with the update so far...(not GM or anything)

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Not if he’s not using 1300 plugins per track it’s not. Not.

1300 plugins per track, because they're needed to get that 'pro' sound. and 1300 tracks, because i like my productions to sound big. if that isn't pro, i don't know what is.... :cool:
[doublepost=1506425903][/doublepost]
hahahahaha

But is your beta testing behaviour an act of skillful professionalism?

;-)

i am, in fact, a professional beta tester. doesn't that prove i'm right about everything?

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Lenny Kravitz live-streamed a recording session on Instagram last weekend where he was recording with a brass-band of 20-30 people in What looked like a small gymnasium. Mics were everywhere! Maybe this is how one gets to 1300 tracks??? :-D

I had never seen a recording room that big before.

Last edited:

Autistic Behaviour

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
montreal
Well, 10.3.1 beta seemed to have solved my "gradient" problem in logic, but now my Arrangement tab detects 5 displays ( I only have the retina screen on mbp and 1 display connected) ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.