Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdavis501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2019
Mac user for about 8 years. Beautiful system that seems to work so well.
I upgraded from an iMac as soon as the Mac Studio was announced. System arrived yesterday. Upon connection it self downloaded the latest OS.

Let me preface by saying, as an electrical engineer, I have had experience troubleshooting complex electrical systems and like to consider myself fairly comfortable with computer systems. Until my experience(s) with the new Studio Mac. Kinda humbling.

Used the system migrate. Worked flawlessly. I turned off the iMac (older system) and began the checking of the newer Mac studio.

Before the show stopping no internet issue described below occurred, what I first noticed is that my second monitor seemed backwards. I made certain which monitor that I set as the default, but my mouse wold not move to the RIGHT to the second monitor. It ONLY moved to the left to flow to the second monitor which was on the right. Naturally, this was ultra confusing. While I was troubleshooting what I considered an easily fixable nit issue, my system said - you are not connected to the internet.

Went to system preferences and it said both the wifi AND the ethernet connection to the internet had self assigned IP addresses and would not be able to connect to the internet - and sure enough it did not connect to the internet.

Self assigned IP addresses? Seems quite a few people have run into this problem, but I could get none of their solutions to solve my problem.
Here's what I did. Naturally, I first rebooted the modem and router. Turned off the computer and back on and same issue. Then I "reset" the router using the reset button. No solution. Some folks said, go into system preferences/network and choose a new location. No such option on my system preferences. I could literally think of no further viable solutions. Considered, but discarded, buying a new router. Guess I could buy a new modem and new router, but this seems to be not understanding the problem.

As it now stands, the new Mac Studio sits on my second desk turned on, but unable to connect to the internet. I put my iMac back into service and it operates flawlessly.

Any ideas on how to fix this internet problem? Does apple have a paid service to assist? As it now stands I have a $3600 paper weight.

ondioline

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2020
It means your router isn't assigning an IP via DHCP. It's configured that way on MacOS by default but you might want to check.

Otherwise, did you perhaps manually limit assignments via MAC addresses at one point?

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 8.42.16 PM.png

mdavis501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2019
It means your router isn't assigning an IP via DHCP. It's configured that way on MacOS by default but you might want to check.

Otherwise, did you perhaps manually limit assignments via MAC addresses at one point?

View attachment 1992094
No, I never did any manual limits or anything at all with the MAC addresses. So, how do I force the router to assign an IP via DHCP?

ondioline

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2020
Just depends on the router, and how it and your modem are configured (like if the router is the one doing NAT or not) Can't say for sure.

Anyway is your interface in MacOS set to 'Using DHCP'? Have you tried clicking the renew button?

mdavis501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2019
Just depends on the router, and how it and your modem are configured (like if the router is the one doing NAT or not) Can't say for sure.

Anyway is your interface in MacOS set to 'Using DHCP'? Have you tried clicking the renew button?
Yes, i did try the release / renew. As far as"interface using DHCP" goes, i have not checked this. This mac studio is stock out of the box, however, it did its automatic transfer of files from the old machine, and there is some suspicion on my part that it has failed to come out of the peer to peer mode properly. I will look to see if its using DHCP. Thank you for the suggestion.

At this point of the trouble shooting process feel like its reasonable to rule out the router, since all of my other apple devices (2 ipads, imac2, iphone) operate properly with the router. So, if its the computer itself, maybe i just reinstall the operating system from scratch, and do the migration manually (pain).

mdavis501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2019
If it doesn't assign one try DHCP with manual IP. You can manually assign it any IP not in use in the range the router specified.
This seems like a reasonable thing to try. Thank you. It does skip over whatever issue is here, and that somewhat bothers me.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Right, time to try manually assigning the unit an IP address. Then see what happens.

Failing all that, a drastic option would be to reset the unit to factory, and then setup as NEW, versus transferring data/account and such. Then manually perform all the updates, and see what happens, prior to loading your data, etcetera...

mdavis501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2019
Right, time to try manually assigning the unit an IP address. Then see what happens.

Failing all that, a drastic option would be to reset the unit to factory, and then setup as NEW, versus transferring data/account and such. Then manually perform all the updates, and see what happens, prior to loading your data, etcetera...
This drastic version is what i did. Didit take that long, then when it sayd migrate, i de- selected the network settings, preferring to set them myself. Now everything works. Clearly, the migration of network settings was the culprit. Thank you for taking the time to answer.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
This drastic version is what i did. Didit take that long, then when it sayd migrate, i de- selected the network settings, preferring to set them myself. Now everything works. Clearly, the migration of network settings was the culprit. Thank you for taking the time to answer.
AM just happy you were able to resolve it. And, even more so, sort of knowing what the culprit was...

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Did you get your 'backwards monitor' situation sorted out? Go into System Preferences->Displays and re-arrange their orientation.

Also I'd recommend you edit your thread title, it's hyperbole.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Androgel

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2022
Mac user for about 8 years. Beautiful system that seems to work so well.
I upgraded from an iMac as soon as the Mac Studio was announced. System arrived yesterday. Upon connection it self downloaded the latest OS.

Let me preface by saying, as an electrical engineer, I have had experience troubleshooting complex electrical systems and like to consider myself fairly comfortable with computer systems. Until my experience(s) with the new Studio Mac. Kinda humbling.

Used the system migrate. Worked flawlessly. I turned off the iMac (older system) and began the checking of the newer Mac studio.

Before the show stopping no internet issue described below occurred, what I first noticed is that my second monitor seemed backwards. I made certain which monitor that I set as the default, but my mouse wold not move to the RIGHT to the second monitor. It ONLY moved to the left to flow to the second monitor which was on the right. Naturally, this was ultra confusing. While I was troubleshooting what I considered an easily fixable nit issue, my system said - you are not connected to the internet.

Went to system preferences and it said both the wifi AND the ethernet connection to the internet had self assigned IP addresses and would not be able to connect to the internet - and sure enough it did not connect to the internet.

Self assigned IP addresses? Seems quite a few people have run into this problem, but I could get none of their solutions to solve my problem.
Here's what I did. Naturally, I first rebooted the modem and router. Turned off the computer and back on and same issue. Then I "reset" the router using the reset button. No solution. Some folks said, go into system preferences/network and choose a new location. No such option on my system preferences. I could literally think of no further viable solutions. Considered, but discarded, buying a new router. Guess I could buy a new modem and new router, but this seems to be not understanding the problem.

As it now stands, the new Mac Studio sits on my second desk turned on, but unable to connect to the internet. I put my iMac back into service and it operates flawlessly.

Any ideas on how to fix this internet problem? Does apple have a paid service to assist? As it now stands I have a $3600 paper weight.

I went through this same exact process with my new Mac Studio after the Migration process then upgrading to Ventura. The wifi stated it was connected, however I could not open any internet page on any browser. I went through multiple tech support people at Apple. Stumped all of them except the last senior advisor. Reconfiguring, releasing DHCP, etc, etc. Nothing worked. Even with the system connected to a cat 6 Ethernet cable directly I could not download a web page. I did delete ExpressVPN, and an old PureVPN programs from my computer that were transferred from my old iMac via Migration. However those two programs despite being deleted were the problem. After deleting the VPN via the Finder window, then it requires you empty the trash, then a restart. THEN, under your Network tab if you have any VPN programs listed even if are turned off, must be removed under that window. This solved the issue for me. Hope it works for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.