Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
7F004CC6-01CA-47B3-9DF0-22CC063E617D.jpeg

Any fans out there?
There is a Mac version. :)

Recently purchased on sale at Steam, I played some last night, outstanding writing, you are a struggling detective in this alternate reality (?) RPG, one of the attributes you can pick has your neck tie talking to you. So far my impression is that the game plods along. It is definitely in your best interests to read up on builds and the skill system to know what you're getting into, and what to expect.

I am still interested in the story, very atmospheric, and have not yet gotten into a fight to be able to judge this aspect of the game. It is not dynamic, my guess is fights are choice driven, dice rolls, and skill based, no actual dynamic control of your character.

Attributes and Skills
Each attribute has six skills in its skill group. Each group broadly determines the type of checks it will be used for, which can give the player an idea of what kind archetype they wish to make if not using a pre-made character.

026EA707-929A-4E7D-8E4B-F5CEC96C2FA3.jpeg

This section will break down the various attributes and what their skill groups are generally for, but you can click a given skill group for a deeper dive.

Intellect Skills

The six Intellect Skills are Logic, Encyclopedia, Rhetoric, Drama, Conceptualization, and Visual Calculus. These skills are generally used in passive skill checks to advise the player which is the “correct” dialogue option to choose. Successful passive checks on these skills usually open new dialogue options in the current conversation. Intellect Skills are best used when the player wants to learn more about the background lore of Disco Elysium.

Psyche Skills

The six Psyche Skills are Volition, Inland Empire, Empathy, Authority, Esprit de Corps, and Suggestion. These skills are often used in passive skill checks to advise the player and open new dialogue options similar to the Intellect Skills. However, some of them, such as Authority and Suggestion, are used in more active checks when talking to other characters. Volition also sets the character's maximum Morale, one of the two “health bars” in the game. Psyche Skillsare best used when the player wants to roleplay using the character's words as his primary weapon.

Physique Skills

The six Physique Skills are Endurance, Pain Threshold, Physical Instrument, Electrochemsitry, Shivers, and Half Light. These skills are often used in active skill checks when the character attempts to use their physical force to affect the world. A few of the skills may present themselves during passive checks, but for the most part they are used to perform an action. Endurance also sets the character's maximum Health, one of the two “health bars” in the game. Physique Skills are best used when the player wants to roleplay using the character's physical strength or intimidation as his primary weapon.

Motorics Skills

The six Motorics Skills are Hand/Eye Coordination, Perception, Reaction Speed, Savoir Faire, Interfacing, and Composure. This skill mix is used in a variety of passive and active skill checks when the character attempts to do any action not based fully and directly on intelligence or raw strength. It's used for both being sneaky or simply manipulating small devices. Motorics Skills are best used when the player wants to use objects and dexterous actions

Last edited:
Reactions: dmr727 and ryubyss

ryubyss

macrumors member
May 22, 2014
attempted to play it on older MacBooks, the game would slow and stutter and I could feel the laptop's innards boiling. on a newer Mac, I can actually play it! love this game, as I knew I would even when the developers planned on calling it No Truce With the Furies. absolutely my thing, including the lack of combat. with a CRPG, I enjoy the choice-making but not the part whereI have to fight someone, since I don't do well with the fighting part, even on the easiest mode. with Disco Elysium I can avoid all that. just one reason why I love it so. (I hear that it does have combat, but not in the traditional CRPG "enemies jump you at least every half hour" way.)

Reactions: dmr727

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Fantastic game, and plays very well on my M1 MBA.

EDIT: Just noticed the OP was from 2021, but the quasi-necro has inspired me to fire up the game for another run-through. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.