Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 25, 2002
The upper right corner of my iPhone screen has become tinted a shade of yellow. When its black it looks normal, when its a shade of gray it looks like a light spot...and when the background is white (like on the web) its yellow tinged. Has anyone seen this? It seems to be over a warm spot on the phone. Its 11 months old (it was a launch day phone). Was the warranty 1 year parts?

Dan

Ryan5505

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
CA
Yes

Yes it should be covered by apple care. My iPhone's vibrating ring feature randomly broke. I went to the Genius bar, and was handed a new iPhone no questions asked, along with others customers that were being handed iPhones. I think they are trying to clear inventory of current generation iPhones.

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 25, 2002
Mine's got whitish areas. Is this common or a new phone on the way for me?

Mine appeared to me to be whitish for a month until I just noticed the yellow tint the last several days...I dont know if it was always yellow or if its a progressive failure. I think its heat related. The circuit board with the CPU is right under the top of the screen, which is right where my discoloring is.

maokh

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Seattle, WA
The upper right corner of my iPhone screen has become tinted a shade of yellow. When its black it looks normal, when its a shade of gray it looks like a light spot...and when the background is white (like on the web) its yellow tinged. Has anyone seen this? It seems to be over a warm spot on the phone. Its 11 months old (it was a launch day phone). Was the warranty 1 year parts?

Dan

Wow. You and me have the same exact issue.

It gets worse when its on the charger. The yellowish spot appeared right around the time when the handset was getting hotter than normal while on a routine charge in that exact area.

It has since recently expanded in a small thin line going all the way down, only noticeable when its got enough under certain screen conditions (gray)

I also have 3 bubbles in these areas, not sure if they are related.

alejovh1

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2008
you guys should take them back to the apple store, mine had the same yelowish tint in te upper right corner.
the genius said it could potentially damage the entire screen and exchanged it right there on the spot!

tothelimit

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
South Florida
i had that same problem right in the center along the bottom of my iPhone. i took it into the apple store and they referred to it as 'discolored pixels' and replaced it on the spot.

ChockFull

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
I have the same problem. Should I wait until the new iPhones out before exchanging ya think in hopes that some magical moment will occur and I get a 3g phone?

Mudcrutch

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2008
you guys should take them back to the apple store, mine had the same yelowish tint in te upper right corner.
the genius said it could potentially damage the entire screen and exchanged it right there on the spot!

ditto. I was very pleased by their service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.