Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitters

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2018
I have a problem with my iPhone 7 after the latest beta-update.
After my phone has been in ‘sleep-mode’ I need to connect manually to my wi-fi again every time I open the phone. Anyone other who struggle with the same ?

helloje

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2018
I have a problem with my iPhone 7 after the latest beta-update.
After my phone has been in ‘sleep-mode’ I need to connect manually to my wi-fi again every time I open the phone. Anyone other who struggle with the same ?

This is expected behavior, Apple suspends wifi on sleep.. been this way for a long time. Fun fact, one reason they do this is to stop your MAC address from being tracked by retailers/malls/etc..

If it's taking too long to reconnect, i would make sure you don't have any other wifi networks stored that have bad signal strength. Low signal strength will sometimes make the phone default to a LTE connection.

Mitters

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2018
This is expected behavior, Apple suspends wifi on sleep.. been this way for a long time. Fun fact, one reason they do this is to stop your MAC address from being tracked by retailers/malls/etc..

If it's taking too long to reconnect, i would make sure you don't have any other wifi networks stored that have bad signal strength. Low signal strength will sometimes make the phone default to a LTE connection.

But it is not suspected behavior that I need to open settings and WiFi to connect back each time. Normally it connects automatically to my home/net

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If you haven’t already try forgetting all the networks that your phone connects to at that location (if there is more than one). Then log back in to just the network you want to be on at that location.

Daryl125

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
When I wake my iPhone 7, it immediately shows LTE before eventually switching to wifi. This presents a problem for me since my iCloud back-up only happens randomly and not daily. My phone is plugged in, locked and connected to wifi, but I believe it switches to LTE when locked - thereby not allowing an automatic back-up. I can force a back-up without any problem, but it just seldom does it on its own.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
When I wake my iPhone 7, it immediately shows LTE before eventually switching to wifi. This presents a problem for me since my iCloud back-up only happens randomly and not daily. My phone is plugged in, locked and connected to wifi, but I believe it switches to LTE when locked - thereby not allowing an automatic back-up. I can force a back-up without any problem, but it just seldom does it on its own.
My own experience is the iPhone does not disconnect from WiFi when locked and charging. Although you can try airplane mode and see if that makes a difference.

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
Same here. I have no cellular signal in my house so I rely on WiFi Calling. When my phone is in Standby (aka phone on but screen off), I receive incoming calls so WiFi must remain active and connected in the background otherwise this wouldn’t work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.