Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
Just wondering what people thought between these two phones seeing as they share the same A15 chip, 6.1" size and will no doubt be the similar prices while 13 Pro stocks last. For me it seems a discounted iPhone 13 Pro is a no-brainer (especially living in the UK with no satellite support).

iPhone 14 benefits
  • Photonic engine
  • Updated selfie camera (faster aperture, autofocus)
  • Crash detection
  • Satellite connectivity (N America only)
  • Lighter (by ~30 g)
  • Newer Bluetooth support (5.3 vs 5.0)
iPhone 13 Pro benefits
  • 10-120 Hz Promotion screen
  • Brighter display (1000 nits typical vs 800 nits typical)
  • Telephoto lens
  • Faster ultrawide aperture
  • Macro photos / video
  • Night portraits
  • ProRAW/RES support
  • LIDAR scanner
  • Longer battery life (for video playback)

nquinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2020
One thing I really wish the regular iPhone 14 got was the new dual-frequency high accuracy GPS that is in the Apple Watch and 14 pro. Such a bummer it didn't get that or it would be easier to justify. My guess is the 15 will though.

Two other benefits of the 14 you didn't consider:
1. Repair cost: back glass to repair a 13 pro will be $450+, on an 14 only $150
2. Possibly one year long iOS support (big gamble). Same SoC as iPhone 14 of course but Apple could arbitrarily cut off by year. I'd say odds of getting one year longer iOS support is maybe ~ 25%.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
One thing I really wish the regular iPhone 14 got was the new dual-frequency high accuracy GPS that is in the Apple Watch and 14 pro. Such a bummer it didn't get that or it would be easier to justify. My guess is the 15 will though.

Two other benefits of the 14 you didn't consider:
1. Repair cost: back glass to repair a 13 pro will be $450+, on an 14 only $150
2. Possibly one year long iOS support (big gamble). Same SoC as iPhone 14 of course but Apple could arbitrarily cut off by year. I'd say odds of getting one year longer iOS support is maybe ~ 25%.
Would be pretty shady if the 14 got extra support over the 13 pro; would expect possible extra support over the reg 13 due to 6gb of ram. Both will be supported for many many years either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: davedvdy and Tsepz

IphoneX9753

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2020
My mom was having the same quandary. Luckily Visible has/had a crazy sale on the 13 Pro. Got her a 128gb for $609 new. All storage capacities on sale. There are no 128gb versions left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.