Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
As someone considering buying an Apple Watch, I wanted to find a simulator of the Watch, with different faces, complications, and even apps. Had no luck.

But, then, I discovered I can download the Watch app from the App Store to my iPhone and see Watch faces and complications and explore different combos! Really spiffy and gives a prospective buyer a feel for what the Watch will look like and do.

I wanted to post this in case other possible buyers were wondering or seeking something similar.

Too bad, Apple doesn't provide the same app for the iPad.

Too bad, the built-in weather complication doesn't include a 5-day forecast a la Carrot Weather.

Unfortunately as well, there's no way of seeing what apps look like.

It'd be good, too, if one could see different sized Watches and compare them on screen!

But, in the meantime, for someone contemplating buying an Apple Watch, this Watch app is quite helpful — and fun!

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Do you really need a 5 day weather forecast on a complication on your wrist? The Apple Watch, especially the complications, were meant for quick glanceable info, not weekly planning. Surely you can find the time to check the actual Watch app or your iPhone for a weekly forecast.

The iPad doesn’t connect to the Watch so no app necessary.

Reactions: haruhiko

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Night Spring, yes, I tried it. (Just did again, in fact.). There is no built-in 5-day forecast complication in the Apple Watch app. Your choices are Conditions — several hours — Rain, UV Index, and Wind. That’s it.

I also had checked out Watch screen shots on the App Store, although they are hard to find! From the iPad, the store doesn't show Watch apps. And, seeing the screenshots is not quite the same as a Watch simulator!

Itinj, in fact, I’d like a 10-day forecast! Part of it is the ease of a quick look at the week's weather. I wouldn't trust any 5- or 10-day forecast for actual planning purposes, no matter where I saw it. Forecasting isn't that great — but it does give you a feel for temperature trends and expectations. The Carrot Weather Watch app, which is quite popular, provides a 5-day complication, so clearly the developer must think people want it and many have displayed Watch faces with it — so many users like it, too!

Besides, even Apple provides the day's weather conditions by hour, which can be used for “planning” even though it, too, is designed for a quick glance!

Still, your comment intrigues me. Does the built-in Weather app on the Watch show 5-day forecasts? That's great if it does!

As to the Watch app for the iPad, I’ve spelled out the need for it above — it'd be a great selling tool for prospective buyers. To be able to see the Watch faces and their different sizes, true to scale, side-by-side on the iPad would be immensely useful even if the Watch can't be formally paired and set up with it. They could, however, set it up so that custom faces and complications could be beamed to the Watch via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi! Or, to theniPhone and,then, to the Watch!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Your choices are Conditions — several hours —
Hours? I always thought it was showing days! Oh, well, that's what happens with my bad eye sight, lol.

As for a watch simulator, I think developers have one so they can see what their apps look like as they are working on them, but there isn't one for us end users. I find that even with iPhone apps, the screenshots often don't give enough info about how the app actually feels like when you use it, but well, what can you do?

Reactions: Saturn007

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Yes the Watch app itself has a 10 day forecast (which includes today) but not the complication (I don’t think). I can’t fit it all on two screen shots from the Watch but you get the idea.

As for the iPad, it wouldn’t be a Watch app per se, which is a companion to the Watch for management, set up, etc. What you’re looking for is something else. They don’t have anything like that for any of their other devices either. Just buy the Watch, play with it and if you don’t like it, well you pretty much have a 14 day return window with no questions asked.

1638213172535.png

1638213200784.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.