Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toru173

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Idea to avoid power issues - some users have reported that certain PC 7800GT cards (notably from eVGA and PNY) work in the mac pro to drive secondary displays.

Since these cards take external ATX power, it may not be necessary to try and push extra juice over the PCIe bus.

Just a thought.

I agree, I know we're going to need external power somehow. External power supplies is the way to go, even if it means an ATX supply

kaidomac

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2005
Idea to avoid power issues - some users have reported that certain PC 7800GT cards (notably from eVGA and PNY) work in the mac pro to drive secondary displays.

Since these cards take external ATX power, it may not be necessary to try and push extra juice over the PCIe bus.

Just a thought.

Excellent idea! Seems like the only "problem" is that you don't see anything onscreen until the 7800 driver loads. I'd be willing to give this a shot if I can get the 7300 working first. I enjoyed having a hacked video card in my Cube, why not in my Mini? :D

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
Excellent idea! Seems like the only "problem" is that you don't see anything onscreen until the 7800 driver loads. I'd be willing to give this a shot if I can get the 7300 working first. I enjoyed having a hacked video card in my Cube, why not in my Mini? :D

As my main interest is in the possibility of a dual (or triple!) head mini, I don't mind if I have to have a display connected to the onboard video...

toru173

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Does osx have the ability to select a "primary" graphics card? If so, it wouldn't so much be an issue, would it? Admittedly I don't know much about multi-card setups in macs u_u

vinea

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2007
wow this is very interesting! when I called adex to inquire about purchasing their adapter I was quickly put on hold and transfered to an Asian gentleman. He explained to me even tho they are listed on his website they are not for sale. He explained to me that his FEAR was that I or I guess any individual/company that wanted to buy this adapter was going to send it off to HK or China to be copied! All the convincing in the world could not get this man to budge! And I'll tell everyone I'm damn good at buying things wholesale and convincing companies that I am in the same industry as them, and I always amaze people when I open up accounts w/manufactures to buy baby furniture to salt water fish @ wholesale. This guy just wouldn't budge!!!
If someone would foward me the contact info to purchase this cable I have np in ordering one immeadiatly!

Serpent

ps....Since this is a "Rumor" site. I'll lay one on you. It comes from a very reliable source too. RUMOR has it that everyones mini graphics problem will be solved soon. I believe our wishes will soon be answered!

pps.....I don't need anyone sending me a couple of bucks to defray the cost of modding or purchasing the parts to do this. I do thank you turu for the gesture! I do it for enjoyment, a simple Thank You surfices with me!

Thank you.

Oh, and that's very very odd since I think I talked to the same asian guy. He seemed nice but started getting a bit worried that I'd fry something using that board.

They wont sell now? Jeez, that's just wierd. Who the heck is going to copy a mini to x1 card that retails for $87? The engineering can't be THAT big a deal.

They must be worried about some other kind of liability. I had planned on just cold calling the ModBook folks but I have been crazy busy with end of year stuff.

V

serpent

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2006
vinea if you can get them to sell it to you I have np PP you the funds. I tried again today to call and again they refused to sell it to me. claim they have a partner in this thing that refuses to sell unless your some mega million dollar corp.

toru173

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Also, don't forget that it is only expresscard of pcie x1. We need an adapter still to get it to minicard

tama

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
AMAZING!!!!! and a little crazy too... thank you for this info.

BTW is there any usb or firewire/Pci-express bridge out there?

toru173

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
This looks like it would fit your needs perfectly. Keep in mind that no-one has actually been able to perform this mod but serpent, and it may have damaged his mini (we don't know for sure). I think he's in the process of finding an adapter elsewhere though

tama

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
This looks like it would fit your needs perfectly. Keep in mind that no-one has actually been able to perform this mod but serpent, and it may have damaged his mini (we don't know for sure). I think he's in the process of finding an adapter elsewhere though

Thank you, but I'm wonderinf if there is any logic that convert the Firewire or USB signal to a PCIexpress one in order to connect a videocard

thanks

toru173

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
None that I know of, and I believe it would be a Windows-only solution if it existed. There are USB "video cards" availible to the Windows world. For those just using bootcamp on the Mini, this would probably be an easy way to add and extra monitor. There are also a few Mac programs - such as Screen Recycler - that allow you to plug an extra "screen" in to a Mac that doesn't have any more video ports availible.

What we're looking for is really the ability to plug in a whole new graphics card, or perhaps other pcie-based peripherals. RAID cards seem to be a hot favourite, and the card I showed you is also a possibility.

tama

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
What we're looking for is really the ability to plug in a whole new graphics card, or perhaps other pcie-based peripherals. RAID cards seem to be a hot favourite, and the card I showed you is also a possibility.

Sorry but I don't understand how can we connect a videocard to a usb and firewire card. PCIexpress x1--->USB/FW card---->Videocard (how?)

toru173

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
You wouldn't really need a PCIe USB card - you would just plug the "video card" directly into a USB port. Have a look at this monitor made by Samsung, or if you feel in the mood for a more techie meal, read up on the company that makes these things here.

The setup would be:

USB port -------> Monitor

In this circumstance you wouldn't use the PCIe bus at all, but this isn't what we're investigating in this thread. If you'd like information on how to use a USB monitor under Mac OSX you'll have to look elsewhere, it's a little off topic here. Perhaps you could start a new thread?

walberg

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
Wow that seems like a solution, but starting at 729 USD and currently only works on MBP and a nvidia 7300. :(

More a problem is that the adapter won't fit in the mini, (just like a sata card it will be too long and you must remove the processor cooler and that will be the problem) If there was enough space i had remove my airport card (i don't need it) and replace it with a sata (raid) card but the processor cooler is too close.
We need only a cable to put in the socket of the airport card holder and take outsite another card in it. But were to buy such an extension cable?

toru173

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
We need only a cable to put in the socket of the airport card holder and take outsite another card in it.

That's not quite true - although the two are electrically and logically compatible, the sockets are mechanically different. We need an adapter that not only moves the socket away from the heatsink but also changes the dimensions of the physical socket itself.

walberg

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
That's not quite true - although the two are electrically and logically compatible, the sockets are mechanically different. We need an adapter that not only moves the socket away from the heatsink but also changes the dimensions of the physical socket itself.

Yes thats correct, I told it very simple but you understand what i mean, but i thought there are also mini cards just like the Airport card bud then SATA and then you only have to get an (extention) cable from insite to outsite.

toru173

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Ah, I see what you mean - you're looking for a SATA minicard? I don't believe any such card exists. If you could find one, though, I'm not sure it would be Apple-compatible.

Any updates would be welcome though! If you find a possible card let us know, and we'd really love to try it out.

walberg

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
Ah, I see what you mean - you're looking for a SATA minicard? I don't believe any such card exists. If you could find one, though, I'm not sure it would be Apple-compatible.

Any updates would be welcome though! If you find a possible card let us know, and we'd really love to try it out.

NitroAV SATAStar 2-port eSata II 3Gb/s Professional Express card interface adapter (34mm)

The only thing we must have is a cable and 2 connector to bring this card outsite because insite it won't fit (processor).

toru173

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
That's an ExpressCard eSata device - we're looking at MiniCard. The former is designed as a PCMCIA replacement, the latter as a Mini-PCI replacement. Unfortunately, the two aren't compatible.

walberg

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
That's an ExpressCard eSata device - we're looking at MiniCard. The former is designed as a PCMCIA replacement, the latter as a Mini-PCI replacement. Unfortunately, the two aren't compatible.

Yep there are 2 models but im talking about the 34 mm expresscard, i have also seen a model from Addonics that supports Mac OSX.

toru173

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
The product you suggested is not compatible with the slot in the Mac Mini, nor is ANY ExpressCard.

walberg

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
The product you suggested is not compatible with the slot in the Mac Mini, nor is ANY ExpressCard.

Too bad, someone told me on a formum that they are electrical compatible, i just have looked at the specifications > not electrical but also the format is 4 mm smaller.

Leave us the question if the internal sata controller is FIS (Port Multiplying) compatible but i think it leads us to nothing, after a year searching someone (on this moment i forgot his name but his nickname should be Serpent) told he had succesfully connected an Addonics port multiplier but later told that ik doesn't work.

I think i should assemble an PC it cost about 4 a 500 dollars, and put on it a hacked version of Leopard. Its not a correct way but the only Apple who supports raids should be a Powermac and that will cost ca 3000 dollars. No option.

toru173

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Perhaps you should start a new thread with that in mind? We're wandering a little off topic here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.