Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

powerslave65

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Sherman Oaks CA
Today I posted a topic that consisted of one word and one picture and it was summarily removed and then I was notified of that. The real question is why? I’m sorry it takes people an inordinate amount of words to get to the point and not be clear and succinct, including myself sometimes. But when the opportunity arises for short right on the money commentary, I really think this forum is doing a disservice by making it against the rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ben J. and nnoble

powerslave65

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Sherman Oaks CA
I don’t know exactly but could have been as much as hoping to hear a discussion of how most tech marvels have already been imagined by creatives in film tv and literature. They are merely giving into a use case opportunity that was imagined by someone else. Or as little as making someone laugh. Both seem worthy.

Reactions: picpicmac

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The current group of moderators is much more lenient than we were around 20 years ago.

If they didn't see a reason to keep it, it probably would have been removed twice as fast back then.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
So... first, I don't think it's possible to 'discriminate' against a style of writing

Second, I know brevity is a good thing, but what could you possibly fit in a single word to make it important enough to have a thread? Best I could think of is "Look" or "This", and only if paired with an EXTREMELY informative image...

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So... first, I don't think it's possible to 'discriminate' against a style of writing

Second, I know brevity is a good thing, but what could you possibly fit in a single word to make it important enough to have a thread? Best I could think of is "Look" or "This", and only if paired with an EXTREMELY informative image...
Even if you start a thread with a link to some video or picture, some verbiage about the focus of the conversation that will ensue should be posted. Else there is no context.

I don’t know where the posting of Memes stands today. I use memes at times, but I also respond in a legitimate way; whereby the post stands in its own without the meme.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
My advice to you is to start a discussion in the appropriate topic area and write, with letters, the following: "a discussion of how most tech marvels have already been imagined by creatives in film tv and literature. They are merely giving into a use case opportunity that was imagined by someone else."

You already did so in two different postings but if you combine them into one, people may, just maybe, get a clue on what the heck you trying to say. You will also accomplish your goal of brevity (two posts become one). Usually one word posts do not accomplish anything unless it's a meme.

powerslave65

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Sherman Oaks CA
My advice to you is to start a discussion in the appropriate topic area and write, with letters, the following: "a discussion of how most tech marvels have already been imagined by creatives in film tv and literature. They are merely giving into a use case opportunity that was imagined by someone else."

You already did so in two different postings but if you combine them into one, people may, just maybe, get a clue on what the heck you trying to say. You will also accomplish your goal of brevity (two posts become one). Usually one word posts do not accomplish anything unless it's a meme.
Thanks for answering. Sometimes when you are working you don't have the time to construct an actual post with words and assume the forum can run with a kernel of knowledge whose implied meaning which is the size of sledgehammer and just maybe they would wax further other than just deleting it. I guess a fictitious game show called name that X-code wouldn't fly here either?

Last edited:

powerslave65

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Sherman Oaks CA

Informative image was included so I guess no one here is getting this. NP

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
Thanks for answering. Sometimes when you are working you don't have the time to construct an actual post with words and assume the forum can run with a kernel of knowledge whose implied meaning which is the size of sledgehammer and just maybe they would wax further other than just deleting it. I guess a fictitious game show called name that X-code wouldn't fly here either?
My advice to you is not to post while working then. One word posts are only slightly better than no-word posts -- which is to say not very comprehensible regardless of people having a few kernels of knowledge. Can't really blame the moderators on this one.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If you don't have time (even when working, when, of course, you should be working), to "construct an actual post with words", then, don't post.

If memory serves, in any case, there is a prohibition in the rules of one word posts, in other words, one word posts are prohibited by the rules of MR.

Moreover, I, personally, detest posts that comprise nothing but memes.

Without context, (which not everyone knows, or, is aware of - don't assume that "kernel of knowledge"), memes, or one word posts plus a meme, mean absolutely nothing.

And, humour is extraordinarily subjective, above all, not least, as it is often extremely culturally specific.

Last edited:

powerslave65

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Sherman Oaks CA
My advice to you is not to post while working then. One word posts are only slightly better than no-word posts -- which is to say not very comprehensible regardless of people having a few kernels of knowledge. Can't really blame the moderators on this one.

If you don't have time (even when working, when, of course, you should be working), to "construct an actual post with words", then, don't post.

If memory serves, in any case, there is a prohibition in the rules of one word posts, in other words, one word posts are prohibited by the rules of MR.

Moreover, I, personally, detest posts that comprise nothing but memes.

Without context, (which not everyone knows, or, is aware of - don't assume that "kernel of knowledge"), memes, or one word posts plus a meme, mean absolutely nothing.

And, humour is extraordinarily subjective, above all, not least, as it is often culturally, extremely specific.
Why do I feel like I am at an HOA board meeting?

I did not know about a one word rule so thx for the insight.

PS When’s the election?

• Wow
Reactions: millerj123

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Why do I feel like I am at an HOA board meeting?
I have no idea.

Why do you feel that you are at a HOA board meeting? Only you can answer that.

(I had to look up that acronym; not all of us are from the US, you know).

In any case, you asked a question.

Some of us have taken the time and trouble to reply, replies which might give you some explanation as to why your post had been removed.

There is no need to be sarcastic by way of response.
I did not know about a one word rule so thx for the insight.
You are welcome.
PS When’s the election?
I am at a loss as to what you mean with this remark.

It is possible that - yet again - you are being sarcastic; why?

You have asked why your post was removed; people have taken the time and trouble to offer reasons why this happened.

However, given the tone of your response, I suspect (given your sarcasm) that you may have started this thread in the hope that others would join your wail about the post that had been removed, whereas, instead, they told you why it had been removed.

Last edited:

powerslave65

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Sherman Oaks CA
I do appreciate the responses but in the end the tone exhibited in this thread is just not my style. I didn’t ask for advice, or really anything from anyone here. I was remarking on my experience and impressions of it. My impression of it hasn’t been moved by anything said here so let’s call it case closed. Thx again.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
A thread with just a single word and picture just gives me the impression that it's spam or click-bait. There isn't really anything to discuss if you don't actually discuss what you want to talk about. Even a short sentence would be better than practically nothing.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Today I posted a topic that consisted of one word and one picture and it was summarily removed and then I was notified of that. The real question is why?

Here’s your answer.

2. Frivolous posts. Posts that contain no relevant or constructive commentary. This includes one- or two-word posts such as "cool", "LOL", "I agree", "+1", "this", "me too", "no way", other equivalent comments of any length, posts consisting only of smilies or overused memes, posts about being the first post in a thread, posts about your lack of interest in the thread (ignore the thread instead), and posts with irrelevant images or videos, especially those without text. If your post will add nothing to a discussion, don't post it.​

Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.