Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I have nothing to say other than they did a fine job with the lasso tool.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
All that has been done to this is a bit of level adjustment. I didn't use lasso.

I duplicated the image, desaturated it and placed it over the top of the colour version and erased the desaturated version of Ronald in order to get the colour one showing through.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
CrackedButter said:
All that has been done to this is a bit of level adjustment. I didn't use lasso.

I duplicated the image, desaturated it and placed it over the top of the colour version and erased the desaturated version of Ronald in order to get the colour one showing through.

Nice job. Layer masks & adjustment layers are a more powerful & flexible combination, though...

Is it some kind of amusement-park machinery or something? Where did you take the source picture?

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I did use a layer mask as well.

It is part of a photo documentary I am writing. It is from Blackpool Illuminations maintenance yard.

Google for Blackpool Illuminations for an idea of how big this is.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Nice..

There seems to be a lot of people here with very good PS skills :rolleyes:
Maby I will learn some one day :rolleyes:

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
The eyes wander. Crop it so that there is less on the right side. I know it's corny but the Golden Ratio works quite well, letting the eyes concentrate on exactly what is necessary. The color would simply add to that.

If that helps...

irmongoose

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
irmongoose said:
The eyes wander. Crop it so that there is less on the right side. I know it's corny but the Golden Ratio works quite well, letting the eyes concentrate on exactly what is necessary. The color would simply add to that.

If that helps...irmongoose

Maybe, I understand the golden ratio so I know what you are saying but let me think about it.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
yellow said:
They're cloning Ronnie!!!! :eek: So, THAT's what goes on inside McDonald's. Interesting picture.

You are right 'Attack of the Clones' was really a parody of how McDonalds is going to take over the world - one QUarter Pounder at a time ;) Ronald is the base for the clones....

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Interesting photo--might be distressing for a child to see. I agree tighter cropping can make it stronger. Maybe Ronald is having the grease cleaned out?

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
I dont see why it needs to be cropped really.

There needs to be balance in the picture, so the right side also helps create that balance. It is also needed to tell the story! That there are other Ronalds in line, other wise I am not sure that it would be evident what is happening.

I actually think that Ronald is perhaps TOO in the middle of the photo.

I think that he may be needed to be moved to the left a bit more and create MORE right hand space and imagery.

Interesting pict, like the color vs bw.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
The black line/border around Ronald, as well as not being b/w, really made made it look like it was pasted on from somewhere else. At least on first look, since I didn't see the other Ronald's there..

winwintoo

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2003
If the story you're trying to tell is that there is more than one Ronnie, maybe put a touch of color in the other Ronnies too - decreasing amounts, but don't make your audience do so much work to find them.

The picture leaves me with questions, what is that big thing just ahead of Ronnie in the line? is it important? I spent a lot of time trying to figure that out, and only after I gave up on that did I notice that there were more Ronnies following along - maybe blur that thing, or give it some motion so we know it's an engine of some kind that's pulling the Ronnies down the line?

Interesting picture - and comes at a good time for me - I'm going to be doing classes in PS shortly and this made me think.

Take care, Margaret

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
Nice surreal motif. Almost freaky actually. I really like it. Don't think it should be cropped at all, the composition works imo.
I'm not so sure how fond I am of the way you've been photoshopping it - the b&w with main detail in colour. Hard to say when I don't know the original - would like to see that too. But it seems that Ronald, being smack in the middle wold get the attention needed anyway and somehow I miss the colurs for the rest of the pictures.
Perhaps you could try and play with the colours in the whole picture to give at an even more eerie and surreal feeling to it!?

A

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.