Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommyboy9996

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2009
NJ - Ocean County
Hey guys, just bought a new 2020 iPad Pro 11” and the magic keyboard. The MK is here and iPad due in Monday. Are you guys disinfecting these devices out of the box? I’m not really sure if we have to but curious on opinions. I have two small kids as well and want to be safe. If so, any recommendations for cleaning? Thank you

jvlfilms

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
Staten Island, NY
I got my Magic Keyboard a few days ago and was asking the same question. I've been Lysol spraying my packages externally and trying to clean the items as best as I can after opening. With something like this, it's trickier obviously but luckily Apple released a support article on how to clean your iPhone.

When I got my Magic Keyboard at night it was too late to really play around with it, so I left it opened and sitting overnight. In the morning I got Windex on a paper towel and cleaned the outside and hinge. I also very gently cleaned the keys but didn't want to even risk damaging it.

The virus is supposed to only last a few days on surfaces so if you want to be completely completely safe, open the iPad and let it sit for a few days without using it. It's awful, I know, but peace of mind might be more worth it than using the iPad for an extra few hours.

If not, visit the link above. Apple was pretty thorough about what you need to use to clean it.

Reactions: tommyboy9996

tommyboy9996

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2009
NJ - Ocean County
I got my Magic Keyboard a few days ago and was asking the same question. I've been Lysol spraying my packages externally and trying to clean the items as best as I can after opening. With something like this, it's trickier obviously but luckily Apple released a support article on how to clean your iPhone.

When I got my Magic Keyboard at night it was too late to really play around with it, so I left it opened and sitting overnight. In the morning I got Windex on a paper towel and cleaned the outside and hinge. I also very gently cleaned the keys but didn't want to even risk damaging it.

The virus is supposed to only last a few days on surfaces so if you want to be completely completely safe, open the iPad and let it sit for a few days without using it. It's awful, I know, but peace of mind might be more worth it than using the iPad for an extra few hours.

If not, visit the link above. Apple was pretty thorough about what you need to use to clean it.

Thank you for the response and the link, I appreciate it. I may just do that, open both items up out of their manufacture box and let them sit. Lol it will be hard but I want to be safe so that’s good advice. Thanks again!

Last edited:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Hey guys, just bought a new 2020 iPad Pro 11” and the magic keyboard. The MK is here and iPad due in Monday. Are you guys disinfecting these devices out of the box? I’m not really sure if we have to but curious on opinions. I have two small kids as well and want to be safe. If so, any recommendations for cleaning? Thank you

By the time it reaches you, the MK won’t have been in physical contact with anyone for longer than the virus can remain active on a non-living surface. You should be more concerned with thoroughly washing your hands after touching whatever box it ships in, as that will be exposed to potential contamination right up until it’s delivered to you, but the actual MK inside will effectively have been in quarantine.

Last edited:

el beisbol

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
Yeah I did not, under the assumption that the devices have been boxed for a long time. I was careful with the outer box and even the Apple box.

I’m careful with boxes but if this thing is seriously spreading on boxes I’m probably in based on delivery volume, haha.

tommyboy9996

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2009
NJ - Ocean County
By the time it reaches you, the MK won’t have been in physical contact with anyone for longer than the virus can remain active on a non-living surface. You should be more concerned with thoroughly washing your hands after touching whatever box it ships in, as that will be exposed to potential contamination right up until it’s delivered to you, but the actual MK inside will effectively have been in quarantine.
It really shouldn't matter. I've been receiving packages almost two or three times a week. I open the package on the floor then I throw away the box and wash my hands. Just don't let the kiddies touch the package!
Yeah I did not, under the assumption that the devices have been boxed for a long time. I was careful with the outer box and even the Apple box.

I’m careful with boxes but if this thing is seriously spreading on boxes I’m probably in based on delivery volume, haha.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think you guys really hit the nail on the head, that virus shouldn’t be able to survive inside the Apple packaging during the initial packaging and shipping. Just will be doing my normal and wearing gloves and discarding the packaging and washing hands. Thanks again!

Reactions: joeblow7777

boylerman

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
Massachusetts
I use a Phone Soap on my iPhone daily - everything else I use a UV-C wand to disinfect.

B41E38C6-F1DC-490D-A071-7C13CDB2A9EE.jpeg

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I have been leaving packages in the garage for 24hrs. I also just open the box. Don’t touch the item. Wash hands. Then take the product out. Ughhhhh my grocery buying routine is even worst I have buying groceries and having to wash and wipe everything.

tommyboy9996

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2009
NJ - Ocean County
I have been leaving packages in the garage for 24hrs. I also just open the box. Don’t touch the item. Wash hands. Then take the product out. Ughhhhh my grocery buying routine is even worst I have buying groceries and having to wash and wipe everything.

Thanks, and I feel yah on the groceries!!

The manual recommends 10 seconds at a distance of 2 inches.

Thank you, I think I may be getting one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.