Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jmacc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
SF, CA
We've been told not to use strong stuff on devices. I say phooey on that now with COVID/Corona
Brand names? windex, Method, others please?

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Before the coronavirus, Apple said not to use that stuff because it would strip the oleophobic coating off the front screen. But now with the coronavirus absolutely everywhere, Apple is prioritizing health and safety over a screen coating which is nice.

Any cleaner should work, just spray it on a cloth or microfiber first and then wipe it all around.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Those ^ are the most convenient and they're effective. Very easy to keep a few in your pocket too - when going out and having to grab stuff in public places.

Health tip #1. Flossing your teeth (with non sterilized hands/fingers) is probably the best possible way to get sick (if your fingers are contaminated) because your fingers are all inside your mouth. Also over enthusiastic flossing can sometimes make a gum bleed - which puts your dirty mouth & fingers in direct contact with the bloodstream.

Reactions: bevsb2

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Before the coronavirus, Apple said not to use that stuff because it would strip the oleophobic coating off the front screen. But now with the coronavirus absolutely everywhere, Apple is prioritizing health and safety over a screen coating which is nice.

Any cleaner should work, just spray it on a cloth or microfiber first and then wipe it all around.

If you think about it, how many iPhone users even know what the coating is to begin with? Let alone, the coating is naturally organic, which wears off over the course of time with touching the display. So by Apple suggesting that they you can use wipes, doesn’t really affect the coating one way or the other, being that it would wear off eventually as is.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
If you think about it, how many iPhone users even know what the coating is to begin with? Let alone, the coating is naturally organic, which wears off over the course of time with touching the display. So by Apple suggesting that they you can use wipes, doesn’t really affect the coating one way or the other, being that it would wear off eventually as is.

I agree with you about most users not knowing about the coating. But it would wear off much faster. Like in a week or less with constant wiping with alcohol. At that point, there is no point in even putting a coating at all but this is a unique event in which sanitation is paramount right now.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I agree with you about most users not knowing about the coating. But it would wear off much faster. Like in a week or less with constant wiping with alcohol. At that point, there is no point in even putting a coating at all but this is a unique event in which sanitation is paramount right now.
It does nothing anyway. Doesn’t take long for finger smudges to be a nuisance.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Wash your hands you filthy animals. I just use a warm cloth on mine. Don’t touch your face and don’t pick your nose. Leave it in your pocket if you must take it to the toilet.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Wash your hands you filthy animals. I just use a warm cloth on mine. Don’t touch your face and don’t pick your nose. Leave it in your pocket if you must take it to the toilet.

Wait...You’re suggesting for others to ‘wash their hands’, but you use a ‘warm cloth’ on yours? What does a warm cloth accomplish? That doesn’t disinfect anything, which I find kind of confusing If your chosen method, because the whole thread is about ‘disinfecting’ a Phone in general.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Be careful how you clean your iPhone. Certain disinfectants getting into the speaker or microphone might cause problems
As for the Oleophobic coating that’s the first to go so put a screen saver on and clean the screen saver it’s cheaper than replacing a screen

Reactions: rui no onna

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Per Apple: "Is it OK to use a disinfectant on my iPhone?
Using a 70 percent isopropyl alcohol wipe or Clorox Disinfecting Wipes, you may gently wipe the exterior surfaces of your iPhone. Don't use bleach. Avoid getting moisture in any openings, and don't submerge your iPhone in any cleaning agents."

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Per Apple: "Is it OK to use a disinfectant on my iPhone?
Using a 70 percent isopropyl alcohol wipe or Clorox Disinfecting Wipes, you may gently wipe the exterior surfaces of your iPhone. Don't use bleach. Avoid getting moisture in any openings, and don't submerge your iPhone in any cleaning agents."

I’ve been using disinfectant wipes On my iPhones for years With zero issues at all. The key is, just make sure that the wipe isn’t overly saturated with the solution, and then remove any remnants left behind with a clean microfiber cloth. [The only consideration is that it will remove the oleophobic coating if it’s still applicable on the phone.]

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
We've been told not to use strong stuff on devices. I say phooey on that now with COVID/Corona
Brand names? windex, Method, others please?
I’ll use 70% alcohol. Will it change the coating? Possible but I’d rather live to upgrade my phone than worrying about the phone.

Scream And Fly

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2017
Florida and New York, USA
I’ve always kept my phones and iPads very clean and for many years all I use is Nikon lens wipes. They’re similar to standard alcohol prep wipes but the big difference is that the Nikon wipes are designed for lenses and they are basically just damp with cleaner as opposed to totally saturated like an standard alcohol wipe would be, so there is no risk of the alcohol cleaner dripping into speaker openings, etc. The actual wipes themselves are softer than regular cleaning wipes. The Nikon lens wipes are probably just alcohol but that‘s always the best cleaner to use for glass anyway, especially when disinfecting. If Nikon approves these for use on my $5000 lenses which all have coatings on the glass, then they’re perfectly safe for my iPads and phones.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I have been using these...for my glasses and phones. Should kill Covid-19 too because it is 100% Isopropyl alcohol. It drys super quick and you can take individual wraps anywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.