Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSearch

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2015
I have an iPad 4 in a gray Apple Polyurethane Smart Case and I would like to know the best and safest way to clean it and disinfect it without ruining the exterior material. It's not visibly dirty, just a little dusty and handled by others, which is why I would like to clean it and eliminate germs.

alau0115

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
Markham, ON, Canada
I have an iPad 4 in a gray Apple Polyurethane Smart Case and I would like to know the best and safest way to clean it and disinfect it without ruining the exterior material. It's not visibly dirty, just a little dusty and handled by others, which is why I would like to clean it and eliminate germs.
For the exterior side of the smart cover (i.e., the polyurethane side), use some good and clean microfiber cloths. Use the one with medium and short naps which are commonly found in multi-purpose MF. The ones from Costco would do it fine. Or ideally get a MF of smaller size (12"x12") from places such as the Rag Company or MicrofiberTech in US.

Make them damp and wipe the surface. if it doesn't clean properly, you may apply some gentle multi-purpose cleaners for car detailing such as the one from Griot's which is safe for any kind of surfaces.

Candurin

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
If your looking to sanitize the cover, 70% alcohol (ethanol or isopropyl) would be fine. If your really looking to disinfect (to which there would really be no need) then you can use Lysol/Clorox (benzalkonium chloride, not the bleach ones) wipes.

Alcohol nor Lysol wipes will harm your case.

sacha_g88

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2017
If your looking to sanitize the cover, 70% alcohol (ethanol or isopropyl) would be fine. If your really looking to disinfect (to which there would really be no need) then you can use Lysol/Clorox (benzalkonium chloride, not the bleach ones) wipes.

Alcohol nor Lysol wipes will harm your case.

If it were me i’d make sure i rinse thoroughly after using these products so as not to have them coming into contact with the screen.

if you want to disinfect you could always leave it out it in the sun for a bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.