Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

veedubdrew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I posted something similar to this in another forum, but no one has responded. I thought I might be more specific here in a more appropriate forum.

I have a .img file of the WWDC Panther preview. There are two .img files, one for OS X and one for the associated apps.

On disc 2 when I double click it Disk Copy opens, the image mounts as a drive on my desktop, and I can copy the contents of the "drive" onto a blank CD-R and burn it. I have done this successfully with Disc 2.

Disc 1 is giving me major problems, and this is the most important one! When I double-click the .img file for Disc 1, Disk Copy opens up and the "drive" mounts on the desktop and opens a window to display its contents. If I select all and drag the contents to a blank CD-R, the files appear to copy (although very quickly) but then there are only ~8 MB of data on the CD-R. I have produced eight coasters with this method.

A curiosity with this is that when I close up the mounted drive image and then double-click it again to reopen it, the contents look different. The "Install OS X" icon is missing, the folders are in a different order and everything is named differently. Only the first time after mounting the image does everything appear correct. I can't get the contents onto a CD-R to save my life.

I tried simply clicking "Install OS X" the first time the drive mounts, but then the installer prompts me to restart the machine and when it comes back up, all the contents of the image are goofed up again.

So my first question is: How do I get the Disc 1 image onto a freakin' CD-R so I can boot with that and install Panther?

Question two: How the heck does Disk Copy work in general? Since switching to the Mac, this is the most cryptic and difficult program for me.

BTW, this is on a iBook 600 Combo that I never use, so I'm not worried about screwing it up with a bootlegged OS. My 17" iMac will remain on Jag until Panther GM comes out, at which time I will purchase a legal copy. Thanks in advance for any help!

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
Open Disk Copy and find in the menubar under File the text that says "Burn Image". Locate your .img and abbracadabra!

scan300

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Who gave you a Panther disk image? I though they were distributed on CD.

1. If you have a copy from a CD, there may have been some DRM on the original to prevent copies being too easily distributed.

2. Disk copy works fine for copying non-bootable disks, as in your Disk 2 scenario. A cd full of files is easy to copy using disk copy, and you can also add encryption if required.

Since OS X was released the ability to make a bootable copy of a system disk has disappeared from disk copy. (someone can correct me if I'm wrong here). I assume that Apple is making it harder for copies of system disks to be distributed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.