Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Another

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2023
Please I'm getting insane. I need to delete files to free up space in my MacBook Pro. But I can't. Because I need more space to free up space…

So far, I've tried… :

- …to (force) delete files without using trash. Didn't work.

- to use the terminal and sudo rm rf. But I c'ant even type anything because I don't have enough space!

- I even tried to use a third party app I already had but it did'nt work…

- CCleaner doesn't even work!

I am lost, and I'm really scared to shut down/restart the computer because I don't want to lose any data. I use that Mac for work. I didn't even use TimeMachine or clone that computer for a long time/

Please, help me… It's urgent

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
First thing is to do a backup. At minimum copy your most important data to another disk, another computer or to a cloud service.

Restarting the computer may give you a little respite as macOS will do some tidy-up on boot - assuming it can boot!!

Do a backup first!!

Further steps may depend on the Mac. So do tell us what MBP (model, but most importantly Intel or Apple silicon) and what version of macOS.

Reactions: jchap

Another

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2023
I tried to plug an external drive but my Mac doesn't recognize it… I tried to use Disk Utility, and two third parties apps, in vain. I swear I'm about to cry :(
Is there another way to copy these datas?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Can you boot into Safe Boot mode? (Restart, holding the Shift key, until you get to the login window)
Safe mode, because it does not load some of your startup software, may allow you to move a few choice files to trash, then empty the trash. If that helps, and you can get some space free, restart again normally, and finish up your "cleanup". I suggest that you continue to work at it, until you have at least 10% space free on your drive

Another

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2023
Can you boot into Safe Boot mode? (Restart, holding the Shift key, until you get to the login window)
Safe mode, because it does not load some of your startup software, may allow you to move a few choice files to trash, then empty the trash. If that helps, and you can get some space free, restart again normally, and finish up your "cleanup". I suggest that you continue to work at it, until you have at least 10% space free on your drive
I thought about it but was wondering if there was another option before. My fear is that if I restart in safe mode, my Mac won't boot because the disk is too full. I'm afraid of losing everything. Is it possible?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Well, the longer that you mess with it while it is that full, the more likely it is that you will begin to corrupt your files.
Safe boot takes up less memory footprint, and might mean that you will be able to boot, and possibly release enough space (because you have restarted), allowing you to begin to delete some files, maybe enough that you can then reboot properly, and finish the cleanup task that you need to do.
I know what I would do. I have an external SSD with a full system installed. I would boot to that external drive, then should be able to browse into the internal drive, and move off enough files/folders to get back to a safe space.
Some folders would be easy, as you can almost always safely delete any "Caches" folders. Those will sometimes allow you to return several GB of space, just in Caches folders.
An external system boot drive would be a great help at this point.

Reactions: Reggaenald

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Can anyone confirm if this is expected behavior for a full disk? It sounds to me like something else could be an issue.

Backup any way you can— if it won’t recognize an external disk, then push stuff to iCloud or something. Not sure what you’ll be able to do though- the system sounds pretty wedged.

olimerkido2

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2023
Please I'm getting insane. I need to delete files to free up space in my MacBook Pro. But I can't. Because I need more space to free up space…

So far, I've tried… :

- to use the terminal and sudo rm rf. But I c'ant even type anything because I don't have enough space!

I am lost, and I'm really scared to shut down/restart the computer because I don't want to lose any data. I use that Mac for work. I didn't even use TimeMachine or clone that computer for a long time/

I would create a RAMDisk in terminal, copy files into the RAMDisk, start deleting files, then move the files back out of the RAMDisk, RAMDisk is stored in RAM so gives you extra space temporarily but move less important files to the RAMDisk and make sure your Mac doesn't turn off before you have moved the files back into the regular storage because RAM is erased on shutdown.

Lloigorr

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2021
Germany

So far, I've tried… :

I would do the following:
-Shut down the system completely
-Boot via external device, e.g. bootable pendrive
-delete some files off the internal SSD

Of course you need to have such bootable USB-device around and in any way have made backups beforehand.

Always do backups!

(I‘ve had a similar situation on a Mini with 128GB SSD some years ago. Back then I thought such small SSDs should be illegal)

Reactions: jchap

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009

So far, I've tried… :

I'm not sure what the problem is here. Can't you just get an external hard disk and offload the contents of your Documents folder and larger files?

You say that the Mac does not recognize backup drives connected to your Mac. Do you see the standard dialog box asking to format the disk (which would generally be to APFS, in later versions of macOS), once you've connected the external drive? What actually happens when you connect it to your Mac?

Shutting down and restarting your Mac may actually be a good idea, since macOS should routinely clear out any caches that may have filled up with temporary data. Your data on the hard drive will not be destroyed by simply doing so. However, your data in volatile memory (RAM) will obviously be gone in that case, meaning the files that you're currently working on and haven't saved.

Are you having problems closing files, saving data and shutting down apps in order to restart the system because you've filled up your hard disk? Do you have apps that are still open? It's hard to tell whether you are talking about RAM or about your hard disk storage. (Many people do get the two confused.)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I thought about it but was wondering if there was another option before. My fear is that if I restart in safe mode, my Mac won't boot because the disk is too full. I'm afraid of losing everything. Is it possible?
It's super super rare that your OS act so abnormal just because of running out of free space (unless something like there is a memory leak, and eventually the virtual memory eat up all the hard drive's space). Can you actually see how
much space remaining?

And as long as the data is there, a reboot shouldn't cause any data lost.

Reboot to safe mode should clean up some system cache, and swap files. This may help you to recover some space (assuming you are talking about the OS drive is running out of space).

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Delete snapshots. In Ventura you can do that via Disk Utility directly I believe, otherwise need the commandline, tmutil can do it.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
1. Empty the trash. Could be lots of files in the trash that aren’t fully deleted.

2. This isn’t normal. I’ve inadvertently filled up my boot drive and was able to delete files without issue. You need to boot into Safe Mode and try to delete files there.

3. If you’re concerned about losing data, boot to Target Disk Mode and use another machine to copy files.

4. If your on an Intel Mac, reset the SMC.

5. Reset the PRAM.

Restarting into Safe Mode will probably be your answer. Just booting into Safe Mode does a lot of good.

Here is a list of steps I made a few years ago. All are still good for Intel based Mac’s and most are good for Apple Silicon too.

1. Disable unused login items:
1. Open System Preferences
2. Click the Users & Groups preference pane
3. Click the Login Items tap on the top of the window.
4. Remove all unnecessary items by click on the item and then clicking the minus button
at the bottom.

2. Delete unnecessary launch files (Library)
1. Open your primary hard drive (you might be able do this by clicking on the Finder icon
in the dock.
2. Double-Click to open the Library folder.
3. Delete all unnecessary files in the following four folders:
• Inputmanagers - delete the entire folder
• LaunchAgents
• LaunchDaemons
• StartupItems

3. Delete unnecessary launch files (User Library)
1. While in the finder, click on the Go menu tap on the top of the screen.
2. Hold down the Option key and click on Library.
3. Delete all unnecessary files in the following four folders:
• Inputmanagers - delete the entire folder
• LaunchAgents

4. Run Disk Utility on your start up drive:
1. Choose Apple menu > Restart. After your Mac restarts (some Mac computers play a
startup sound), press and hold the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears,
then release the keys.
2. Click Disk Utility, then click Continue.
3. Choose View > Show All Devices.
4. In the sidebar, select the disk you want to repair.
5. Click the First Aid button .
If Disk Utility tells you the disk is about to fail, back up your data and replace the disk.
You can’t repair it. Otherwise, continue to the next step.
6. Click Run.
If Disk Utility reports that the disk appears to be OK or has been repaired, you’re done.
You can click Show Details to see more information about the repairs. Otherwise, you
may need to do one of the following.
7. If Disk Utility reports “overlapped extent allocation” errors, two or more files occupy the
same space on your disk, and at least one of them is likely to be corrupted. You need to
check each file in the list of affected files. Most of the files in the list have aliases in a
DamagedFiles folder at the top level of your disk.
8. If you can replace a file or re-create it, delete it.
9. If it contains information you need, open it and examine its data to make sure it hasn’t
been corrupted.
10. If Disk Utility can’t repair your disk or it reports “The underlying task reported failure,”
try to repair the disk or partition again. If that doesn’t work, back up as much of your
data as possible, reformat the disk, reinstall macOS, then restore your backed-up data.

5. Reset the SMC (System Management Controller):
1. For a desktop:
1. Choose Apple menu > Shut Down.
2. After your Mac shuts down, unplug the power cord.
3. Wait 15 seconds.
4. Plug the power cord back in.
5. Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

2. For a Laptop:
1. Choose Apple menu > Shut Down.
2. After your Mac shuts down, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the built-in
keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the
power button for 10 seconds. If you have a MacBook Pro with Touch ID, the Touch
ID button is also the power button.
3. Release all keys.
4. Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

6. Reset the NVRAM (nonvolatile random-access memory) & PRAM (Parameter RAM):
1. Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold these four keys
together: Option, Command, P, and R. You can release the keys after about 20
seconds, during which your Mac might appear to restart.
• On Mac computers that play a startup sound, you can release the keys after the
second startup sound.
• On Mac computers that have the Apple T2 Security Chip, you can release the keys
after the Apple logo appears and disappears for the second time.

• If your Mac is using a firmware password, this key combination does nothing
or causes your Mac to start up from macOS Recovery. To reset NVRAM, first turn off
the firmware password.
• When your Mac finishes starting up, you might want to open System Preferences
and adjust any settings that were reset, such as sound volume, display resolution,
startup disk selection, or time zone.

7. Start up in safe mode:
1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The Apple logo
appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
2. Release the Shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted
with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and
again to log in to the Finder.
3. To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
I tried to plug an external drive but my Mac doesn't recognize it… I tried to use Disk Utility, and two third parties apps, in vain.

Back up your most important stuff to iCloud (or to Google Drive), restart your machine, and see if you can delete stuff. If nothing else works, you can get one of those really big storage cloud storage plans on iCloud / Google Drive and just put your files there and then factory reset your laptop.

Really though, the fact that you can't delete files and your Mac won't recognize external drives sounds like there's something weirder going on than just having a full drive. 😅

Reactions: arkitect

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
It sounds like there is some sort of OS corruption going on here.

I would boot from an external device and backup data. After that, do a clean install of the OS. If it's an Intel machine, you can use internet recovery. If it's AS, you can use an IPSW file and Apple Configurator. Unless there is a hardware issue, you'll have a clean machine afterwards.

I wouldn't bother trying to boot it anymore.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

What year was your MacBook Pro made?
What version of the OS is running on it?

Also
Do you use time machine?

dennis264

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2010
All of the symptoms noted: no external drives/Time Machine not showing up, rich-text textfield in terminal not working etc... are all symptoms of no ram/hard disk space. The MPB can't page out to VM, since the drive is full, and has to constantly purge its ram.
Due to the "Terminator" chip being in recent intel Macs and built into Apple Silicon, we can't assume everyone can't root off an external anymore (🤬🙄😥).
Like ppl have said, boot in safe mode and delete files. I often use DD to literally fill my drive with junk to force my Mac to purge cache files on its own. (see Clear purgeable space on my Mac.) Then I reboot (with 0KB of drive space) and do another round of DD, then toss boss DD files. Great way to delete iDisk iCloud Drive cache. My Macs always boot just fine, if slow.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
IF the OP has time machine "active"
and
IF the OP is using a more recent version of disk utility
then
Could the OP open disk utility, go to the view menu and choose to view tm "snapshots"
and then
DELETE the snapshots...? (if they are filling up the drive)

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Best would be to first reboot to clear the swap. That on its own might free up enough space. Otherwise delete snapshots as suggested, that should work even with nothing left free since destroying snapshots works differently behind the scenes than rm -rf.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.