Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DennisO92

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
I want to erase an old hard drive but have run into the issue of being unable to erase it with disk utility in recovery mode. I get the error that the disk will not unmount and trying to reinstall the OS without erasing it just leads me to this:
20200301_160625.jpg

Last edited:

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
I'd try using DiskUtility to Erase/Reformat first. That's probably the only way to do it. Now you can probably use/access DiskUtil in the installer to do it. Without have to completely back out of the installer . . .

DennisO92

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
Using disk utility to erase/reformat the drive fails and says that it could not unmount the disk.

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
That's too bad. In the "old days" it use to be "the go to" app to fix anything. I have noticed that it's gotten weak over the years.

In your case when I had things like this happen, it was pure luck most of the time. There are a ton of apps out there, but which one . . . I have used Drive Genius and Disk Warrior for years that have worked when I needed a fix. Even recently to fix a "Trash Can". But truthfully, drives are a dime a dozen, since I have a boxes of them, and a smaller drive like that are not all that expensive. Even larger drives are inexpensive. So . . .

Good Luck!

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I'm not an expert when it comes to these things, but did you have FileVault on?

That may not even be the problem, but it seems like that could cause this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.