Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaericalribo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2018
When I restart my laptop, I have 30GB of hard disk space left.

Over the course of several hours, the available space reported by Finder reduces to 0.

When I restart, the free space returns.

As an example: I saw my available hard disk space was at 21.1MB, so I restarted my computer. At 9:54am Finder reported 31.74GB available. Now, at 10:35am, Finder reports 19.78GB available. I have not downloaded any new files.

I have emptied my trash, and I have used disk profilers (System Report and Disk Inventory X) to find large files to remove.

Can anyone help figure out why this is happening?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My "broken record" advice:
Permanently disable spotlight.
Use "EasyFind" and "Find Any File" to do your searching instead...

DJKillerKeemstar

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2017
When I restart my laptop, I have 30GB of hard disk space left.

Over the course of several hours, the available space reported by Finder reduces to 0.

When I restart, the free space returns.

As an example: I saw my available hard disk space was at 21.1MB, so I restarted my computer. At 9:54am Finder reported 31.74GB available. Now, at 10:35am, Finder reports 19.78GB available. I have not downloaded any new files.

I have emptied my trash, and I have used disk profilers (System Report and Disk Inventory X) to find large files to remove.

Can anyone help figure out why this is happening?

It could possibly be time machine doing automatic system backups. I believe that time machine keeps 24 hour backups locally on the machine and holds the data on there until you back up to an external disk or turn off automatic backups. If you are using time machine I would disable automatic backups and restart to see if the problem is solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.