Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OAK77uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Is anyone else finding Disk Utility hanging/crashing when Converting HDs to APFS even though often completes then Freezes but only shows over half way in conversion? Disk Utility also Crashing when booting with a Lacie Big Disk Array connected! Latest OSX 10.14.5 Reports being sent several times a day to Apple.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Disk utility only crashes if I check an APFS volume and move the mouse or application window.
I had problems with a volume that I converted from HFS+ to APFS, but after erasing and formatting APFS everything seems to be OK. A friend of mine has an iMac where he boots from an APFS formatted external USB3.0 SSD and sometimes the computer hangs at startup. He now puts the computer to sleep instead of shutting it down.

OAK77uk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Disk utility only crashes if I check an APFS volume and move the mouse or application window.
I had problems with a volume that I converted from HFS+ to APFS, but after erasing and formatting APFS everything seems to be OK. A friend of mine has an iMac where he boots from an APFS formatted external USB3.0 SSD and sometimes the computer hangs at startup. He now puts the computer to sleep instead of shutting it down.

Thanks for reply: I'm sure you're right, if I've formatted in APFS I don't seem to have any problems but if I convert those drives do much as you're suggesting. Yes it does seem to be a Mouse/Trackpad too: Really does frustrate, you would think Apple would fully test out programs before putting up. I've now converted about 30 HDs with very important data - some of these backup drives are 6 - 8 TB in size therefore hopelessly long transfer times to redo back to pre APFS format. Also have had to reboot to get some APFS drives to mount - there are many problems I'm beginning to see. Once again many thanks for your info. OAK77uk

Reactions: Mac Hammer Fan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.