Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
As in one of my past posts, i have had an issue with my SSD, which possibly caused by a problematic caddy.

I attach a screenshot of the disk utility and SSD info panel for you to get a clue of my issue.

After i removed the ssd from caddy, i plugged it in an external cheap housing from china, usb 2, and plugged it in the usb port of my mac to see if it is readable. It was.

I did a check with diskutility, and it was reporting Overallocation error. Suggestion... boot from recovery and run disk first aid...

I tried booting in recovery, but despite the fact it is shown and selected, after is clicked, a stop sign icon appears and then is replaced by apple logo which boots in my startup hdd bypassing the recovery.

I abandoned the recovery idea, and boot from a boot osx HSierra usb, and did a check on SSD with disk utility. It insists i should run recovery mode to fix issue despite the fact ssd is external now and not startup...

I decided to format the SSD but nothing... same error... i abandoned this step waiting for a backordered OWC data doubler caddy to instal in my MBC late 2009 with latest high sierra on it and allow me to operate the SSD.

When the caddy arrived, i plugged the SSD (usb external) in and in disk utility.... i deleted the container or the ssd name under its nested folder. I remember in the past the Container folder was nested under the Mass storage folder. Since i deleted the container this folder now appears not nested but separately on the media tree on left side of D.Utility.

Also, the past name of my ssd volume (the name that shows ie on desktop or folder list info)
is visible under Mass storage and is grayed out - it seems it remembers this name for a reason.
I dont know if this is problem though and how to fix it.

I formated then the mass storage folder and the container folder with APFS and GUID.
I did a checkdisk and overallocation message is gone.

From the screenshot you see, Under the MASS STORAGE folder, seen on the bar to the left, do you see any errors in creating the SSD volume etc. or not please, compared to the last nested look or SSD defaults.
The question is:

Shall i proceed with the usage and installation of osx on it or should i follow ie terminal instructions to fix other issues first, and which are these. Also if i have to reformat, which is the item i have to select to format ie.. the Mass storage or the ie Container or both, and what format, ie APFS GUID or HFSplus guid.

I want the SSD as a second startup drive that will load from the caddy only, at this stage, as in the past before errors arose. The SSD will just stay there in case main startup gets stuck and needs ie formating etc,

Any other help is appreciated.

Attachments

• ssd info.jpg
    ssd info.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 207

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
I had similar issues since 10.14. Back in 10.13.x it was possible to reformat the Ssd housed in the caddy when booted from recovery. Since 10.14 I got countless I/O errors. Spinning HD‘s are not problem though.

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
I see... in my case after installed the ssd back in the caddy for dvd on my macbook, and run disk utility, it show the ssd as i remember it in the past regarding the arrangement of volumes-containers in the subfolders.

i reformated it and this time worked. i also did a couple of first aids on disk to see if overallocation error appears again and i think now is ok, no errors at all.

when i emailed plextor they told me to send the item to factory for replacement though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.