Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Emmanuel Crollen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2020
I have two LaCie Rugged discs. One of 500GB and one of 2TB. In Big Sur I only get the option of formatting them in the APFS format. exFat is no longer available. Can you confirm this? Or do you still have the option to format in exFAT.
What to do when I need the disc to be available in Windows as well?
Screenshot 2020-10-17 at 13.58.29.png

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
You selected an APFS volume so it only gives APFS compatible options. An APFS volume is part of an APFS container which is a partition of the disk.

Select "Show all Devices" in the "View" menu of Disk Utility.app. Then you can select the APFS container, and erase it as ExFAT.

Reactions: me55

Emmanuel Crollen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2020
You selected an APFS volume so it only gives APFS compatible options. An APFS volume is part of an APFS container which is a partition of the disk.

Select "Show all Devices" in the "View" menu of Disk Utility.app. Then you can select the APFS container, and erase it as ExFAT.
Thank you, both comments here are very useful. I understand it now. The "Show all Devices" makes it a lot clearer what is going on. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.