Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

user1690

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Searching....
Hey guys!

So i wanted to make a backup of my 10.9 install before i go installing 10.10 on my hard disk. So what i have done is this:

1.) Bought a 16GB USB, Installed 10.10 here.
2.) Set it up, updated.
3.) Ran Disk Utility to make an encrypted backup of my internal hard disk (Macintosh HD)

Error here! - "Inappropriate IOCTL for device"

I cant seem to create any images whatsoever, Macintosh HD is error free, SMART is verified and the permissions are fine so im a little lost as to whats going on.

Any information and assistance here would be appreciated! :D

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hey guys!

So i wanted to make a backup of my 10.9 install before i go installing 10.10 on my hard disk. So what i have done is this:

1.) Bought a 16GB USB, Installed 10.10 here.
2.) Set it up, updated.
3.) Ran Disk Utility to make an encrypted backup of my internal hard disk (Macintosh HD)

Error here! - "Inappropriate IOCTL for device"

I cant seem to create any images whatsoever, Macintosh HD is error free, SMART is verified and the permissions are fine so im a little lost as to whats going on.

Any information and assistance here would be appreciated! :D

You cannot clone the drive if booted into that partition with Disk Utility. You can hold CMD R to boot to the recovery partition (if it is there) and use Disk Utility to restore the drive to an external or use a program like SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC).

user1690

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Searching....
You cannot clone the drive if booted into that partition with Disk Utility. You can hold CMD R to boot to the recovery partition (if it is there) and use Disk Utility to restore the drive to an external or use a program like SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC).

I wasnt doing that at all, i had booted a USB with 10.10 installed. My goal was to make an image of the internal hard disk (with 10.9 installed). I know you cant make an image of a partition your booted to. (Well, you can but its always empty :p )

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I wasnt doing that at all, i had booted a USB with 10.10 installed. My goal was to make an image of the internal hard disk (with 10.9 installed). I know you cant make an image of a partition your booted to. (Well, you can but its always empty :p )

I wonder if this has to do with the fact you are booted from a USB device. Does the 10.9 recovery partition allow you to do what you want?

user1690

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Searching....
Resolved

I wonder if this has to do with the fact you are booted from a USB device. Does the 10.9 recovery partition allow you to do what you want?

Well i am concluding its 10.10 related. I just erased the USB and installed 10.9 to it and am making an image of the internal HD right now.

Problem resolved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.