Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stormyguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2002
UK (Sussex)
OK, I have been trying to run disk utility after running a software update and I am continuously getting the following screen after it gets about a quarter way through the disk. Any suggestions welcome to get around the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Danny

error1.tiff

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
What screen? You didn't post one?

Also what do you mean by run Disk Utility. Do you mean use Disk Utility to Repair Permissions? Use Disk Utility to Repair Disk?

Studawg7

macrumors regular
May 15, 2004
Cville, VA
whats the screen you speak of?

is it telling you that it lost its connection to the drive and basically quits? thats what i get from disk utility when i try to repair permissions. I am running the latest update of Panther on the ibook G4 1GHz. oh and if anyone knows the solution to this one let me know. I will post a screen capture of the actual error message if need be but it will have to happen later tonight when i get back home.

Stormyguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2002
UK (Sussex)
Sorry,

Yes, I cannot repair or verify permissions without getting this error message. I posted a screen cap of message in orig post, but:

Message reads: Disk Utility has lost its connection with the Disk Management Tool and cannot continue. Pls quit and re-launch disk utility.

I'm running 10.3.9 on a G4 Powerbook 12" if that helps.

Danny

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Try this then:

Open Terminal.app, type:

sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

Hit Return, enter your admin password. This will (hopefully) help determine what/where the problem is.

Stormyguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2002
UK (Sussex)
Thanks yellow

Here's the txt from the Terminal window:
Danny

Started verify/repair permissions on disk disk0s9 Powerbook
Determining correct file permissions.
*** malloc[673]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x50a410; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
: for architecture i386 object: ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes malformed object (unknown flavor for flavor number 0 in LC_UNIXTHREAD command 27 can't byte swap it)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I see this problem occationally, but typically DU jsut continues on..

I would say, see if you trash the

/Library/Receipts/iTunesX.pkg/

And try the above command again.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Doesn't matter. For the moment, don't empty the trash as you can always move the folders back to the Receipts folder.

Let's try this then.. remove all the folders that reference iTunes. Then try it again.

Stormyguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2002
UK (Sussex)
Lovely. Good as gold!!

Thanks for the helpful advice. I'd like to learn why there was a problem there but fear the technical explanation would baffle me! I guess those pkg files are just pretty much dormant anyways seeing as how they are from past software updates i guess?

Thanks again yellow and hope that solves studawg7's issue too.

Danny :) :)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Well, before you go...

I suggest putting the iTunesX.pkg BACK in the Receipts folder and run it yet again. If you don't have it, go ahead and download the latest iTunes installer and reinstall it. This will put the package back. The package (.pkg) in the Receipts folder is required for permissions repair, because it contains a Bill Of Materials (BOM) that holds all the proper permissions. Permissions repair compares the currents with the "proper" and corrects based on that.

Stormyguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2002
UK (Sussex)
Where do I get the installer from? Do I get that through software update as I don't see them in the list of available updates?

I also removed a couple of other pkg's as you suggested - guess those arent important?

edit: I just go to apple and d/load 6.0.2 I guess???

edit2: Yup, that's got it back in the Library.....

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Stormyguy said:
edit2: Yup, that's got it back in the Library.....

Cool.. make sure you try running the DU repair permissions again (GUIfied version or the Terminal version, doesn't matter) and make sure it still works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.