Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
For the over 200 or so who viewed my raid question but had no suggestions, here is the answer.
You need to use the terminal version of "diskutil"

Screenshot 2015-09-03 at 3.01. PM.png

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
For the over 200 or so who viewed my raid question but had no suggestions, here is the answer.
You need to use the terminal version of "diskutil"

View attachment 578896

Most things can be accomplished via terminal, and I am quite happy doing things that way. But, considering Apple's overall user base, it is a crime they have removed the GUI interface to this function. Perhaps they are trying to create more opportunities for the developer community to create apps?

Reactions: Lolito

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Most things can be accomplished via terminal, and I am quite happy doing things that way. But, considering Apple's overall user base, it is a crime they have removed the GUI interface to this function. Perhaps they are trying to create more opportunities for the developer community to create apps?

I'm optimistic the RAID functions will return to Disk Utility in a future build, just as Partitioning has returned..

Reactions: Lolito

bbabaa

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010
Charlotte, NC

After upgrading to 10.11, I decided to look to see the status of my 3 Mirror sets. Disk Utility is different... Relatively useless... So... Terminal command line. Ahhh 1 Failed Mirror!

diskutil appleRAID repairMirror <NAME> UUID initiated a rebuild process...

Not Hard at all. But there really needs to be a GUI for this. Hope you are right in that others will create apps and or Apple will return this functionality... After all it is a Mac an not a PC, and even Windows has this ability...

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I'm optimistic the RAID functions will return to Disk Utility in a future build, just as Partitioning has returned..

Maybe if people scream enough.... The problem is we're seeing a pattern evolve in the "new" Apple under Tim Cook and Jonathan Ive. It's called DUMB DOWN EVERYTHING. The problem is they remove features in the process. It started with Final Cut Pro being neutered and not ready for prime time. By releasing it early and dumping the old version support immediately, they lost a huge chunk of professionals. They also neutered Quicktime with a new version that doesn't support plugins and thus broke a lot of OS X functionality (.AVI and such are OLD formats; time to move on they yell! Yeah, but my Canon camera still makes .AVI files and converting them drops quality).

Apple seems to have lost site of the difference between making things EASY and making them DUMB. It's supposed to "Just Work" NOT "Just Broke" and THAT is the key difference now.

Besides, in a FUTURE build? How about they not release something until it's ready for once! This isn't a beta and it's not a bug! It's an OMISSION. Apple themselves sold Mac Mini Servers with RAID already enabled (mine wasn't and I had to enable it myself, but I read many were shipped that way). You don't just dump a feature set on a 2012 machine! Some of Apple's own support site documents indicate Disk Utility should show RAID sets, but they're not there. Amazing. 30% voted it was helpful too. Yeah, REAL helpful. :rolleyes:

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
Maybe if people scream enough.... The problem is we're seeing a pattern evolve in the "new" Apple under Tim Cook and Jonathan Ive. It's called DUMB DOWN EVERYTHING. The problem is they remove features in the process. It started with Final Cut Pro being neutered and not ready for prime time. By releasing it early and dumping the old version support immediately, they lost a huge chunk of professionals. They also neutered Quicktime with a new version that doesn't support plugins and thus broke a lot of OS X functionality (.AVI and such are OLD formats; time to move on they yell! Yeah, but my Canon camera still makes .AVI files and converting them drops quality).

Apple seems to have lost site of the difference between making things EASY and making them DUMB. It's supposed to "Just Work" NOT "Just Broke" and THAT is the key difference now.

Besides, in a FUTURE build? How about they not release something until it's ready for once! This isn't a beta and it's not a bug! It's an OMISSION. Apple themselves sold Mac Mini Servers with RAID already enabled (mine wasn't and I had to enable it myself, but I read many were shipped that way). You don't just dump a feature set on a 2012 machine! Some of Apple's own support site documents indicate Disk Utility should show RAID sets, but they're not there. Amazing. 30% voted it was helpful too. Yeah, REAL helpful. :rolleyes:

I agree.

I am fed up with Apples current way of removing functionality, not just Disk Utility and Quicktime but also Safari and Spotlight. Final nail on the coffin was latest "update" to iWork which finally gain ability to open files from 06 and 08 versions after TWO years...? :rolleyes: It seems Apples long term plan is to turn OS X and applications into dumped down appliances which provide maybe 20-30% of their current functions!

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
A lot of their changes seemed to be centered around "merging" iOS with OS X, except that don't do it. I used to think it was a bad idea, but now I think, why haven't they done it on the Mac side in a way that lets you take advantage of iOS (i.e. iOS emulator to play iOS games and run a handy app). I think the DEV kits can do it, so why not OS X itself? There would be a reason to add touch to iMacs and Macbooks and the bonus would be that they could run Boot Camp with full touch support for Windows. They could then slowly add some touch features to OS X itself where appropriate, but leave the trackpads and mice for the heavy lifting. No one said it has to be 100% touch. But leaving it out entirely (along with Siri) while Microsoft touts BOTH hybrid tech and Cortana AND runs faster and faster while OS X seems to get slower and slower, well, you have to wonder where Apple's priorities are these days. They spend most of their time designing middle finger icons and burrito icons and flat paint schemes, I guess.... It's sad, really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.