Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
"A directory optimization index could not be calculated for this disk because of a disk malfunction. Rebuild this disk as soon as possible to recover your files."

The above was displayed when checking an internal startup drive.

Next step: started from an external, ran DW (v5.1) and found the internal was at a 7 so rebuilt (to a 10).

Restarted from the internal and opened DW, same message [disk malfunction] remained.

My guesses:

1) something w/ permissions?

2) ROM issue? the internal drive at one time had Monterey, was erased w/ DU and a working copy of High Sierra was cloned to it

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Use ddrescue (install using HomeBrew?) to copy the volume to a disk image. It will find and skip bad blocks after trying a few times.

Use DiskWarrior on the disk image. It won't complain about disk malfunction since you're working with a disk image now.

Or it may just be permissions. You should only work on the startup volume when booted from a different volume anyway.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Or it may just be permissions. You should only work on the startup volume when booted from a different volume anyway.

Thanks for your reply.

I was and always start from an external (as mentioned), I just open DW once in awhile to see if the startup volume needs rebuilding.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
ROM issue? the internal drive at one time had Monterey, was erased w/ DU and a working copy of High Sierra was cloned to it

The reason I mention this is that I did not 'install' High Sierra but rather cloned a working external HS backup to the machine in question. Was thinking that an actual HS 'install' might properly update firmware/roms etc.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
The reason I mention this is that I did not 'install' High Sierra but rather cloned a working external HS backup to the machine in question. Was thinking that an actual HS 'install' might properly update firmware/roms etc.
Am thinking boot ROM & SMC version likely got updated when Monterey was installed at the Apple store.
any idea if:
1) there might be issues returning to High Sierra (other than DW)
2) using the High Sierra installer would revert the boot rom and smc

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Which Mac do you have?

I am pretty sure that using the High Sierra installer will not revert firmware versions.

What does your Mac have for a boot drive? SSD? something else (Fusion drive? (not on laptops, but you didn't say yet which Mac you have...)

If DW is reporting a (possible) disk malfunction, I would suggest that could be your issue.
Back up your internal drive (unless you already have a current back up), wipe the drive, and reinstall/recover your files.
If you don't want to do that, boot to your USB High Sierra installer, run Disk Utility, and see what First Aid reports on the drive. Maybe your drive needs to be replaced.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Thanks Delta for your response: "pretty sure that using the High Sierra installer will not revert firmware"

Correct, it did not.

2015 MBP w/ Apple SSD

DW hardware check says functioning normally
Smart Utility says passed
DU FirstAid says ok

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.