Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
It's not surprising to me that the two most negative reactions are making people angry and demanding an explanation for their usage. You may not demand that someone reply to you when you're downvoted, but enough people do that I think it proves my point that the dislike (and the negative reactions more broadly) is fundamentally different from the others. It's just silly to pretend that a post getting a lot of likes is no different than a post getting a lot of dislikes. Of course it's different. One is negative, one is bad, one makes the poster frustrated/angry/upset.

If you are not surprised by peoples reaction to the red emoji then why would you use them? If you claim that red emoji are negative, bad and make posters frustrated/angry/upset why would you use them?

You also did not address the fact that you, and others, incorrectly label the thumbs down emoji as "dislike" when it is in fact "disagree" and you also didn't address the obvious differences and reactions to those two.

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
Is it any business of yours what reactions I use? You might have a case if I overtly claimed "I never use the disagree, and that makes me superior". But I never said that.

What I said was that some people are upset when they receive negative reactions, especially when they receive a lot of them. That is evidenced by the fact that users sometimes demand an explanation when they receive them, whereas no one demands an explanation for "likes". And I think it is obvious why (because one is negative). I never claimed that negative reactions shouldn't exist or that I don't use them myself. My position in this thread is that the current restrictions on their use are fine, and I have not changed that position. I was speaking of negativity to highlight the differences between the negative reactions and the positive reactions and how they are received.

(I did address that I mistakenly referred to "disagree" as "dislike" in my most recent post, though I added it on later, so you might not have caught it.)

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
(I did address that I mistakenly referred to "disagree" as "dislike" in my most recent post, though I added it on later, so you might not have caught it.)

Fair enough across the board. Apologies if I misinterpreted the intention of your post but when you stated that you understood why some people were upset by red emoji, especially without a typed reason, but then used those emoji yourself it came across as hypocritical.

Reactions: VisceralRealist

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Best I can do is an ANGRY button. Grrrrr!
Yeah, what's up with that?! I didn't even know there was a dislike button since I really don't bother with the news threads. Ignorance clearly wasn't the bliss I hoped for!

I have to wonder why it's better to be angry with each other than merely have a bit of dislike... but it's the internet, dislike probably doesn't get anywhere near the same number of clicks.

Reactions: icanhazmac

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Not sure where you are going with this, can you expand on your point?
We reveal "something about ourselves" through our reactions. Whether in real life or online. This is how the scammers know that people are literally "leaking information".

In essence reducing amount of "reactions" can be seen as a way of "protecting the privacy of users".

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
I find the ignore button to be way more efficient. e.g. The 8gb RAM threads are full of people who don't belong in forums and just start fights. Knock out some of the main posters there and this site is suddenly so much better lol.

Add clever use of adblock to filter out by topic keywords and you won't even see those controversial threads.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
We reveal "something about ourselves" through our reactions. Whether in real life or online. This is how the scammers know that people are literally "leaking information".

In essence reducing amount of "reactions" can be seen as a way of "protecting the privacy of users".

So I shouldn't be reacting to your posts with a response to protect my privacy?

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
So I shouldn't be reacting to your posts with a response to protect my privacy?
I personally welcome all responses, "reactions" or ignores to my posts and have never complained about it.

How people value their privacy is none of my business. Let's be honest, most people don't value it at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I often get a Disagree for a post that I can’t for the life of me figure out what was controversial. I really wish folks would give a quick response saying what they disagree with.

A couple of folks did this so much I looked at their postings. It was just a full page of Dislikes and no text ever posted.
I usually get it when they want something from Apple that makes no sense for a business to do.

I still remember over the years that people have considered that Apple is a philanthropic organization, not a business.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I find the ignore button to be way more efficient. e.g. The 8gb RAM threads are full of people who don't belong in forums and just start fights. Knock out some of the main posters there and this site is suddenly so much better lol.

Add clever use of adblock to filter out by topic keywords and you won't even see those controversial threads.
It's become worse over the years. I suspect people aren't trying to be their best. They're just bored from doing nothing at all.

Reactions: rm5

LewisClark25

Suspended
Apr 28, 2024
Honestly, the limit on using the "disagree" reaction is quite frankly idiotic. If someone says something moronic, I'm going to call them out on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.