Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
London
i would like to see apple use swipe to dismiss on homepage notifications - at the moment you need to swipe, release then tap to clear. Would be much easier to swipe and have them 'rubber band' off after a certain point.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
i would like to see apple use swipe to dismiss on homepage notifications - at the moment you need to swipe, release then tap to clear. Would be much easier to swipe and have them 'rubber band' off after a certain point.

The problem with that is you would actually lose functionality unless they do it like google where a long press reveals other options such as: trash, reply, archive etc.

If you swipe right it takes to you to message and left gives you the options I mentioned above. Maybe someone with 3D touch can chime if if those options are there once you force touch a notification.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
London
The problem with that is you would actually lose functionality unless they do it like google where a long press reveals other options such as: trash, reply, archive etc.

If you swipe right it takes to you to message and left gives you the options I mentioned above. Maybe someone with 3D touch can chime if if those options are there once you force touch a notification.
Yes, that's why I'm suggesting a longer swipe to dismiss - like in mail, where a short swipe reveals options (more... Flag... delete) and continuing to swipe deletes the mail.

Reactions: mattopotamus

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Yes, that's why I'm suggesting a longer swipe to dismiss - like in mail, where a short swipe reveals options (more... Flag... delete) and continuing to swipe deletes the mail.

gotcha, that would be a good idea. Unrelated, but is there a "report bug" option? I cannot find the app or option.
[doublepost=1466537760][/doublepost]
3D Touch dismiss is better.

but not everyone has that, and those 3D touch features are being implemented without 3D touch.

MrLoL

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
Lyon, France
Actually it's a glitch, go in the notification settings, turn on "alert" style then "banner" style back again.
It should dismiss by itself after that.

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013

Not sure if I am misunderstanding but when I get a notification all I do is swipe it and it goes away...?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Not sure if I am misunderstanding but when I get a notification all I do is swipe it and it goes away...?

He's talking about the lock screen. When you swype it just gives you options such as clear, reply, etc.

He wants a long swype to clear the notification like it does in mail.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
He's talking about the lock screen. When you swype it just gives you options such as clear, reply, etc.

I guess one aspect of it on the lock screen is that there might be more of a likelihood that a swipe like that could happen unintentionally which could mean that some people could "lose" notifications without realizing it (or perhaps while realizing but not catching what the notification was).

Reactions: Shirasaki

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Personally not a fan of this idea. I don't like it in mail as I often activate it when I don't mean to.

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013

Again, I can dismiss on lock screen with a simple swipe..?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Mail full swipe feature deleted some of my most important mails, because from time to time, it is too hard to have a "half swipe". I would rather ask Apple to "disable this gesture" or increase the "inertia" when swiping so that I can actually see options.

Reactions: GreyOS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.