Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jigga Beef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Philadelphia, Pa
I was hoping for some guidance here.

I just recently moved, so my trusty old Mac Pro 5,1 tower is under my new desk. As everyone knows, the tower puts out a ton of heat.

Now that it's close to my legs, it's relatively warm down there, not hot or unbearable but just a bit of an odd feeling.

I bought 2 of these fans (attached) and thought I could place them somewhere down there to help displace the heat. Just looking for some help on placement as my thermal knowledge is very low.

Attachments

• Mac pro 1.jpeg
    Mac pro 1.jpeg
    421.8 KB · Views: 253
  • Mac Pro 2.jpeg
    Mac Pro 2.jpeg
    470.3 KB · Views: 176
  • Mac pro 3.jpeg
    Mac pro 3.jpeg
    647.4 KB · Views: 149

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
You gotta get it out if there.
The exhaust goes out the back and you've got it right up against a wall and the top is sealed too.

If you don't use the DVD, turning it around so that the rear is facing out would help the air flow a lot- hot air would flow out the opening.
Of course turning the computer on would be a bit trickier that way - but then access to the rear ports would be easier as well.
I had all my computers facing rear side out in my little computer room for this reason - improved cooling.

Reactions: Jigga Beef

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
yeah, mount it so that it's exhausting out into open air in the room. Your real problem with that corner, is that you're also unable to reach the interior of the machine without moving everything. You could try a suspension mount like the one I use, if the desk's top is thick enough to handle the screws and the weight.

Put it towards the left side of the desk, either facing sideways with the sidepanel towards the wall (inconvenient if you have to look into the machine) or with the machine's front face towards the wall (exhaust blowing back towards the front side of the desk.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
IMO using fans to force some airflow around /in front/ behind the MP is a last resort measure .
It also implies some fiddling and finding a way to avoid unintended moving the fans, more noise etc.
I'd try to improve a natural airflow around the MP, especially at the exhaust(=back).

If the only practical position is the corner (which is the worst in terms of airflow) as shown, I'd at least move the MP so that :
1: a distance at the back MP- wall of at least ~ 20cm (8 inch)
2: a distance between side panel- other wall of ~10cm (4 inch)

A much more efficient position would be at the left of you , with the MP front towards you and with distance the backside MP- wall of at least ~ 20cm (8 inch) so to speak free standing
Or position the MP parallel to the wall behind the desk , but still maintaining sufficient exhaust space ( 20cm or more).
Actually where the other peripherals are positioned.
With the right side of the MP towards you, you'd still have access to the internals without moving anything (in case necessary).

Last edited:

Jigga Beef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Philadelphia, Pa
You gotta get it out if there.
The exhaust goes out the back and you've got it right up against a wall and the top is sealed too.

If you don't use the DVD, turning it around so that the rear is facing out would help the air flow a lot- hot air would flow out the opening.
Of course turning the computer on would be a bit trickier that way - but then access to the rear ports would be easier as well.
I had all my computers facing rear side out in my little computer room for this reason - improved cooling.
Def enough room to flip it around just i think seeing all the wires is going to bug me but thats a fair though I will try it!

Jigga Beef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Philadelphia, Pa
yeah, mount it so that it's exhausting out into open air in the room. Your real problem with that corner, is that you're also unable to reach the interior of the machine without moving everything. You could try a suspension mount like the one I use, if the desk's top is thick enough to handle the screws and the weight.

Put it towards the left side of the desk, either facing sideways with the sidepanel towards the wall (inconvenient if you have to look into the machine) or with the machine's front face towards the wall (exhaust blowing back towards the front side of the desk.
Ohh interesting the desk is mounted directly to the wall so the weight should be okay. Going to look into this!

Jigga Beef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Philadelphia, Pa
Thanks for the help. I Just needed to remember KISS (Keep it Simple stupid)

I ended up just moving it about 3 inches (7 CM) forward (TO the right) in its current position. Which gives it about 1 foot/ 30 CM from the wall and haven't felt the heat issue In the past week or even heard the crazy fan kick up.

Reactions: KeesMacPro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.