Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

holden j caufield

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
California
At work 2 years ago someone dropped a 2014 macbook and it has a cracked screen. I stuck this in a the conference room and it's been functioning perfectly attached to projector. The higher ups say it looks bad to have a cracked laptop when vip people visit the room so they said toss it or ewaste it (how much does apple charge to fix this, still has apple care but I'm sure they'll charge an arm and leg)

Being someone that hates to see things go to waste I saved a 2012 retina with good screen (gpu died, didn't know they extended that repair program until early 2017). Everything looks the same to me and from pics and videos it looks to be the same fit.

It's not my job and corp finds this not a good use of time but I like to tinker. Would this work? Any tips to watch out for.

Last edited:

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
For future reference, it could do some other forum users some good to leave the question, as well as the answer in the thread so they don't necessarily have to create a new one if they one day face the same problem. Good that yours got sorted out.

e: Not trying to overstep my bounds, just a suggestion!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.