Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D0MINAT0R124

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2024
Hello, I am thinking of doing the same, converting my 27inch iMac into an external monitor by means of an LCD controller board. I have done this before to a laptop screen and am aware of the whole dimmed brightness. Have you had success with the original backlight board? and for keeping things cool, maybe it would be possible to reuse the stock heatsink/pipes over whatever component is getting hot and attach a PC fan to the inside of the iMac to blow over the fins?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hello, I am thinking of doing the same, converting my 27inch iMac into an external monitor by means of an LCD controller board. I have done this before to a laptop screen and am aware of the whole dimmed brightness. Have you had success with the original backlight board? and for keeping things cool, maybe it would be possible to reuse the stock heatsink/pipes over whatever component is getting hot and attach a PC fan to the inside of the iMac to blow over the fins?

What stock heatsink are you talking about?
Those current regulator chips are quite small.

D0MINAT0R124

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2024
What stock heatsink are you talking about?
Those current regulator chips are quite small.
I was assuming that most people doing this would be dismantling an iMac and thus could keep the stock cooler components, and attempt to utilise those to cool the heat generating components with some thermal pads/paste.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Quote: "I was assuming that most people doing this would be dismantling an iMac and thus could keep the stock cooler components, and attempt to utilise those..."

For post-2014 5K 27" iMacs you don’t need to assume:

Most people haven’t bothered with cooling solutions.
My build did - with a 21.5" iMac fan :

This builder used the stock fan:

Quote: "Have you had success with the original backlight board?"

Three of the available LED video driver boards - R1811, R9118 and U49 - come with additional backlight constant current driver boards.

The U49 kit (5K 8-bit) comes with one as standard.
The R9A18 and R1811 boards (5K 10-bit) have a backlight drive on the board as standard, but there is an additional DZ-LP0818 board available as an extra.
This may also work with other T18/T19 boards - I have no information on that.

Its main purpose is to boost the backlight of 'remanufactured' AliExpress 27" 5K screens where they have been rebuilt after the glass has been broken or the LED has been replaced.
These screens often don't perform like new and need to be boosted...

If you have a good condition stock Apple 5K screen then the brightness is usually good enough for most people.
A standard R1811 has been measured at 332 nits, but with the DZ-LP0818 it was boosted to 461 nits.
This obviously varies a bit from screen to screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

D0MINAT0R124

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2024
Hey there!

I tried the LCD driver board kit, but the brightness was about 120nits, so almost not usable. So I tried to
- connected it with the original backlight board (needed to modify the cable to do so)
- soldered the BLO and ADJ pins on the LCD driver board kit (a super friendly seller told me to try that)
- Used an AC adapter of 12v10a

At first, it worked! 370 nits! But then after 10 min the screen started flickering and died. I would assume due to overheating, since some parts got really hot. Anyone tried it like this? What should i use to bring the tempts down, some heat sinks? What of brightness do you guys get?
I would like to attempt this with the potential overheating issue in mind, would you be able to provide more detail on which pins on the inverter board (original backlight board) you soldered the wires to from the LCD controller board? I think the BLO and ADJ are pin 1 and 3 respectively but I see you connected all the wires in the image.

davevsxe

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2024
Have you tried it?
I would be very interested in the solution with the original inverter board.

I ordered an old iMac2010 for 80€ on eBay and am thinking about ordering a controller board on Amazon:

https://amzn.eu/d/dyfa42d (Germany).

The video on Amazon reports that if the power supply is strong enough >4A, there should be no problems with the brightness.

Another video

also reports a problem-free installation without using the original inverter board.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009

This point in the video (9'15" in) shows the replacement backlight inverter (on the left), of a common Chinese design capable of providing the full voltage used the apple LG screens.

davevsxe

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2024
yes, right - he used the inverter which comes with the control board.

However, others have used the chinese control board but connected to the original inverter:

„Thank you very much seller! Everything is clear and fast. Connected, everything works. Brightness is more than sufficient. The main thing is that the board works for a long time. It's a pity that you can't connect the standard iMac speakers. I will publish the picture of the backlight connector. On pen 1 red wire from the board.“ Source Ali Express Comments of souch a board

Attachments

• IMG_5388.jpeg
    IMG_5388.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5389.jpeg
    IMG_5389.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5385.jpeg
    IMG_5385.jpeg
    371.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5386.jpeg
    IMG_5386.jpeg
    424 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5387.jpeg
    IMG_5387.jpeg
    522.6 KB · Views: 43

davevsxe

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2024
FYI: in this post https://de.ifixit.com/Antworten/Ans...e+values?permalink=answer-798834#answer798834

someone stated, that he has solved the brightness problem:

You need to buy a 12v->5V converter for the Arduino. I have make a little code to convert the 5-0V(low to hight) signal of the Chinese controller to a correct signal PWM (5V, 13kHz) for the inverter. It'a now possible to use the native brightness control of the Chinese controller.

With the code I make, yon have to connect the BLO of the controller to the pin 1 of the inverter, and the ADJ to the pin 3 of the inverter.“

Here a link to the pinout (not tested)

Hope this helps. Maybe someone can try it and Investigate further ?

davevsxe

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2024
Take a penny. Leave a penny.

I managed to use the original apple inverter board for full brightness control together with the chinese control board.

In this scenario the chinese inverter which comes with the controll board is not used.

The pins are basically described on both boards.

From the China control board the ADJ goes to PWN and the BL_ON to the BL_ON of the Apple inverter. Furthermore, the 12 V pins and the GND pins are connected to the respective 12 V pins and the GND pins on the Apple inverter.

The brigthness can also be regulated via the menu of the Chinese Controller board. However, the adjustment bar in the menu is now strangely inverted. So that the maximum screen brightness corresponds to 0% at the adjustment bar of the brightness in the menu.

The maximum brightness should be a voltage of 3.25 V. I was also able to measure this with the multimeter.

Everything works for now. Let's see if it stays stable when the screen is on for several hours.

I have used a iMac 2010 with a LG LM270wq1 SDC2 Screen. I orderd the Control Board Version with Display Port and HDMI

| DP_HDMI Zu EDP Stick bord LM270WQ1-SDC2/LM270WQ1-SDA2/LM270WQ1-SDE3 Control board Kit für 2560X1440 LCD LED Screen

Further I have used a 12V 5 A Power supply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.