Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

syntax_one

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Hi,

I received my brand new M2 MacBook Pro 2023 with 16-inch Liquid Retina XDR and my Studio Display a month ago.

The whites on both displays are completely off: more red on the Studio Display, and more yellow on the MBP.

True Tone doesn't fix the issue.

Changing the reference modes doesn't fix the issue.

Display Calibrator Assistant doesn't fix the issue.

What is going on?

I chatted with Apple. They have no clue.

I called Apple. They have no clue.

I chatted with experts on Apple Discussions. They have no clue.

I'm a graphic design teacher and a calligrapher. I really need this issue to be fixed; I've been living a 6000$ CAD nightmare for a month now. I've never seen this since I started using Apple products in 1997.

What is there to do? Do I have a lemon?

Thank you!

Christian.

PS For some reason, my iPhone's pictures are showing the Studio Display being the warmer monitor. In reality, it's the opposite.

IMG_8887.jpeg
IMG_8888.jpeg
IMG_8889.jpeg
IMG_8894.jpeg

Last edited:

goodthymes

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2022
Had a similar problem with my first ASD, had a mild redish/purple tint. No amount of tweaking or calibration could alleviate it, returned it after 10 days of trying to get used to it and ordered another one, second ASD's white is truly white almost perfect and have been pretty happy with it. If you are within the return window I'd suggest exchanging for another one.

Reactions: syntax_one

syntax_one

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Had a similar problem with my first ASD, had a mild redish/purple tint. No amount of tweaking or calibration could alleviate it, returned it after 10 days of trying to get used to it and ordered another one, second ASD's white is truly white almost perfect and have been pretty happy with it. If you are within the return window I'd suggest exchanging for another one.
The 15 days is over unfortunately; it's been a month now. :(

goodthymes

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2022
I'd then suggest tweaking the settings under Accessiblity/Display (if you haven't). Increase the display contrast a smidge and turn on the color filter using color tint blue and very low intensity just around the half way point in the first segment of the intensity bar. Make sure True Tone is off.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 2.09.01 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 2.09.01 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:

syntax_one

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
I'd then suggest tweaking the settings under Accessiblity/Display (if you haven't). Increase the display contrast a smidge and turn on the color filter using color tint blue and very low intensity just around the half way point in the first segment of the intensity bar. Make sure True Tone is off.
Unfortunately, the Color Filters affect both displays simultaneously.

syntax_one

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Anybody else has an idea of what is happening? Thank you! I appreciate it! :D

syntax_one

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Alright then... I will go to the Apple Store with my whole setup next week. Thanks again. I really wish I didn't have to go through all that!

Last edited:

ThrowerGB

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
My Studio Display is set (in Settings) to the default of "Apple Display (P3-600 nits)". Have you tried fiddling with that setting? My Studio Display is connected to Mac Studio M1 Max and running Ventura 13.6. Although I'm about to load Sonoma.

syntax_one

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
My Studio Display is set (in Settings) to the default of "Apple Display (P3-600 nits)". Have you tried fiddling with that setting? My Studio Display is connected to Mac Studio M1 Max and running Ventura 13.6. Although I'm about to load Sonoma.
I customized the Default Mode and the other Reference Modes, but the only things it lets you do is basically play around with the White Point and the Luminance, which don't address my issues at all.

I also played around with the Display Calibrator Assistant, but nothing works.

My saga has been going on for more than a month now:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255077381
+
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255086924

Thank you!

ThrowerGB

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
I see they've just released Version 17.0 (Build 21A329) of the Studio Display firmware. Might be worth looking at.

goodthymes

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2022
I don't think that will solve his problem, unless that update allows for "advance" calibration like pre-Ventura. I suspect one of his panel is just out of spec and no software can fix. Hope Apple can make it right, for the premium prices it charges.

syntax_one

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
I don't think that will solve his problem, unless that update allows for "advance" calibration like pre-Ventura. I suspect one of his panel is just out of spec and no software can fix. Hope Apple can make it right, for the premium prices it charges.
So Friday I went to my Apple Store appointment with my Studio Display in a box filled with pillows and towels and my M2 MacBook Pro in my backpack. After making me wait for an HOUR, they finally came to see me.

I connected my M2 MacBook Pro to my Apple Studio display, and the employee immediately saw the difference between both displays. He called another employee, and then even the manager came. They ALL saw the difference between both displays.

Then, we connected my M2 MacBook Pro to a demo Studio Display. Same result.

Then, we wanted to plug a demo M2 MacBook Pro to my Apple Studio display, but we couldn't because the table where the M2's are have no electricity plugs for the Apple Studio Display. 🫠

Then, they said I could exchange my M2 MacBook Pro, but for that, I had to buy another M2 MacBook Pro (4000$! YAY!), and see with that M2 MacBook Pro at home if the problem persists. If so, I should be reimbursed for both my M2 MacBook Pros if I wanted to. If it settled the problem, I could get reimbursed for my old computer.

I found that proposition so incredibly odd, that I didn't think of comparing a demo M2 MacBook Pro with mine.

So I left like 🤬

Then I went to an authorized Apple-certified repair store.

Both employees saw the problem and told me the solution the Apple Store proposed was outrageous.

So they proposed to do a diagnosis free of charge on my M2 MacBook Pro.

I'm waiting for the results.

If something is wrong with my M2 MacBook Pro, I will go back to the Apple Store and demand an exchange with the help of the diagnosis papers.

If nothing comes up after the diagnosis, I will still go back to the Apple Store to compare my M2 MacBook Pro with a demo M2 MacBook Pro so I can finally testify that Apple's promise to have a seamless experience using their products is 100% false.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThrowerGB
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.