Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_Ruckus_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2023
Hello All,
Am in quite the dilemma here. Your wisdoms would be much appreciated and could potentially, significantly affect my bank account lol.

CURRENT SETUP:
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015
Processor 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel core i5
Memory 24GB 1867 MHz DDR3 (upgraded myself in 2020)
Startup Mac SSD (swapped out myself in 2020)

NEWLY ACQUIRED:
Mac Mini
Processor M2 Pro (12-core CPU, 19-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
Memory 32GB unified memory
Startup 1TB SSD

My uses are primarily for editing my photography and drone footage. All Hobby.
I love my iMac BUT seeing as it's now 2023, my machine is teetering on 8 years strong and i was tantalized by the mini.
I was beginning to notice some significant lag when sifting through all my RAW images and pulled the trigger on the mini.
Not wanting to lose the beautiful 5K display, I found LunaDispaly. I can see its convince but I simply am not able to enjoy this new computer with the lag from LunaDisplay, even hardwired by way of ethernet. I am getting closer and closer to just saying F it and get the Studio Display (am open to others but ya just can't beat the beauty and aesthetic of Apple products). But Im not sure what to do with this beautiful iMac.

There really is nothing wrong with my iMac i just felt it was time to upgrade. Seeing as how this isn't working out as i hoped, using the iMac as a display only, what should I do? Return the Mini and wait till the iMac really dies (or apple comes out with a new iMac) OR, pull the trigger on a new display, probably Studio, and have the iMac collect dust. Not sure if I made a foolish choice trying to future proof myself.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Hello All,
Am in quite the dilemma here. Your wisdoms would be much appreciated and could potentially, significantly affect my bank account lol.

CURRENT SETUP:
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015
Processor 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel core i5
Memory 24GB 1867 MHz DDR3 (upgraded myself in 2020)
Startup Mac SSD (swapped out myself in 2020)

NEWLY ACQUIRED:
Mac Mini
Processor M2 Pro (12-core CPU, 19-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
Memory 32GB unified memory
Startup 1TB SSD

My uses are primarily for editing my photography and drone footage. All Hobby.
I love my iMac BUT seeing as it's now 2023, my machine is teetering on 8 years strong and i was tantalized by the mini.
I was beginning to notice some significant lag when sifting through all my RAW images and pulled the trigger on the mini.
Not wanting to lose the beautiful 5K display, I found LunaDispaly. I can see its convince but I simply am not able to enjoy this new computer with the lag from LunaDisplay, even hardwired by way of ethernet. I am getting closer and closer to just saying F it and get the Studio Display (am open to others but ya just can't beat the beauty and aesthetic of Apple products). But Im not sure what to do with this beautiful iMac.

There really is nothing wrong with my iMac i just felt it was time to upgrade. Seeing as how this isn't working out as i hoped, using the iMac as a display only, what should I do? Return the Mini and wait till the iMac really dies (or apple comes out with a new iMac) OR, pull the trigger on a new display, probably Studio, and have the iMac collect dust. Not sure if I made a foolish choice trying to future proof myself.

How did you solve your problem?
I'm in the same boat as yours doing photography too

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
Processor 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Memory 24 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

The iMac is becoming too slow and I don't have the SSD but the hybrid HD
Checked on ifixit how to change it, but I'm not able to do it too risky for me
Thanks if you could tell me what have you done 🙂 about the display

Ponylover52

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2022
70512850579__E1DF6C29-B554-47F7-A8D9-7E29E0953B25.fullsizerender.jpeg
Studio Display this is such an easy solve I love mine with my M2 mini.

• Love
Reactions: katbel

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
View attachment 2203504 Studio Display this is such an easy solve I love mine with my M2 mini.
This was my exact solution to replacing my late 2014 Retina 27" iMac earlier this year as well. I bought the Studio Display for $1299 at Costco which lessened the blow. I now have my Mac mini mounted behind my desk and just the Studio Display on my desk which makes it all appear as though it is all in one like the iMac. I could not wait any longer for another 27" iMac as mine had performance issues and was stuck on Big Sur and the Studio Display really is the only monitor that is like having an iMac screen.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
This was my exact solution to replacing my late 2014 Retina 27" iMac earlier this year as well. I bought the Studio Display for $1299 at Costco which lessened the blow. I now have my Mac mini mounted behind my desk and just the Studio Display on my desk which makes it all appear as though it is all in one like the iMac. I could not wait any longer for another 27" iMac as mine had performance issues and was stuck on Big Sur and the Studio Display really is the only monitor that is like having an iMac screen.
Thanks , I hope they have it at Costco - Canada
At Apple is 2000$ before taxes 🤯

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
  • Love

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Don't forget the LG Ultrafine 5K :)

500$ less I love it!
Thanks

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008

Ponylover52

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2022
If you’re aiming for that Apple panel quality def eat the cost, LG Ultrafine or the Studio. I’d say studio because design wise it’s perfect and that alone is valuable in my eyes. It looks like it costs 😂

• Haha

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
If your goal is to replace your iMac with something that harkens back to the design of your iMac, then the Studio Display really is your only option. Whether or not the look/feature set of the Studio Display is worth it, is up to you. For me, it was worth it being I will likely keep the Studio Display for 7-10 years and it will still look good for years to come.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
If your goal is to replace your iMac with something that harkens back to the design of your iMac, then the Studio Display really is your only option. Whether or not the look/feature set of the Studio Display is worth it, is up to you. For me, it was worth it being I will likely keep the Studio Display for 7-10 years and it will still look good for years to come.
It's the 7-10 years that I like because after this disturbing policy by Apple not offering a new iMac 27"
I need to get new ideas and going with a mini probably is the solution, having the right display
I have a BenQ PD2705U (27" 4K) and I specifically got this one for photography.
Thanks but I'm afraid that having being spoiled by a 5k for so long, it would be diminishing the quality
even if I will check somewhere , maybe Bestbuy, to see the comparison
The thunderbolt one costs 1500$ though

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
It's the 7-10 years that I like because after this disturbing policy by Apple not offering a new iMac 27"
I need to get new ideas and going with a mini probably is the solution, having the right display

Thanks but I'm afraid that having being spoiled by a 5k for so long, it would be diminishing the quality
even if I will check somewhere , maybe Bestbuy, to see the comparison
The thunderbolt one costs 1500$ though
I actually don't think it has anything to do with being spoiled by 5K.
I went from an iMac 5K to a mini m2 with this 4K screen.

I had a very interesting discussion with someone on this forum when I was trying to find a good screen that wouldn't break the bank. We were discussing monitors and he had spend much more than a Mac screen costs on a non 5K screen... so I asked why he didn't just go for 5K. Well needlessly to say he went into a whole explanation how, as good as a 5k screen can be, there is more to a monitor than just having 4 or 5k and it is all about how you use it.

I was absolutely not going to spend a ton on just a monitor especially since it is not the thing that brings in my money. So I specifically looked for a monitor that was good for photography AND I wanted it to be less than $600.

I came out at the BenQ specifically because it has a great reputation to have multiple setting to fit the use. Benefit is that the base is solid metal and so the screen is very sturdy and not flimsy as often people complain about with monitors.

I have my mini/BenQ setup sitting right next to my iMac (that I boot from an external ssd due to a failing internal fusiondrive) and the quality of the BenQ is pretty amazing and I am way less "bummed" about not having a 5k Apple screen.

Now if money would have been no issue at all I would have probably gotten a Mac Studio and an Apple screen in a just out of laziness and ease (that's how I started buying iMacs kinda)... But I now also know that there are even better screens than Apple that are also freaking pricy... but If I can get my business expanded I'll probably get something snzier and have it be a business expense ;)

Last edited:
  • Love

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Given that you've kept your iMac for nearly a decade, splurge on the Studio Display. If you keep it for the same 8+ years, even at full price it's only setting you back $200 a year. Well worth it for the quality you get, IMHO.

I've had my Studio Display since the very day they came out and I absolutely love it. The only thing that I wish it had is the ability to input signal from my PS5 via HDMI.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Benefit is that the base is solid metal and so the screen is not very sturdy and not flimsy as often people complain about with monitors.
What do you mean with the screen not being sturdy ? It is or it is not? Maybe it's just a typo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.