Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boelman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2004
So I was just setting my mac mini up on my 30" display and the settings under the display panel said 800 x 600. Well I wanted to change it to 1024 x 768. As soon as I changed it the screen went all blue like it wasn't getting a signal and now I cannot figure out how to get it revert to 800 x 600. Is there a function or command I can do to change it back? Or can I start up the machine some how without the control panels loading??? I need help

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
First, check all the connections are ok (probably are, but best to be sure)

Then try booting into safe mode. Per the Apple help menu, loss of picture can occur if they resolution is not supported (seems odd to offer the option of selecting an unsupported resolution, but there you go :rolleyes: ) To do this follow these instructions

1. Shut down your computer by holding down the power button.
  2. Restart your computer, and immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. (Don't press the Shift key before you hear the startup tone.)
  3. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator.
  4. Your displays should begin working correctly.
  5. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  6. Click the Displays preference pane.
  7. Select a resolution and refresh rate that is supported by the display.
  8. Restart your computer.

Hopefully this should help

Boelman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2004
I tried to do that and it wouldn't let me see the screen still. I took it to an apple store and they started it on another monitor and it worked fine. The guy there said it is probably the mac mini not having enough power to run the monitor because it only has a 32mb VRAM. Even on the monitor we used to test it, we switched it back to 800 x 600 and now it still doesn't show up on the screen.

Confused and wondering what to do.

g^3

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2005
you are right. the mini does not have enough power to run a 30" display. you need a powermac or powerbook.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
g^3 is right - the mini does not support the 30" - see the Apple support pages here. Didn't occur to me that this might be the case.

I guess you could either upgrade the mini, or downgrade the display, but I don't know if you will be able to return it. The mini does support the 23" display. While not quite as impressive as the 30", there is still a lot of screen to play with - I use one and they are very good.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Kernow said:
g^3 is right - the mini does not support the 30" - see the Apple support pages here. Didn't occur to me that this might be the case.

I guess you could either upgrade the mini, or downgrade the display, but I don't know if you will be able to return it. The mini does support the 23" display. While not quite as impressive as the 30", there is still a lot of screen to play with - I use one and they are very good.
And you'd probably see more anyway, by the time you have a resolution much higher than 800 x 600 :eek: On A 14" pismo right now, anything less than 1024 x 768 looks horribly corny.

Boelman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2004
Thank you all for your comments. I guess I might have to get a different mac mini because I don't think I can upgrade the graphics card in it.

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
No Mac mini supports the 30" display. It's not a VRAM (directly) issue, it's a connection issue. You need a video card with a Dual-Link DVI connection. The new Power Macs have it, along with the 15" and 17" Powerbooks. No other Mac has this feature.

The 30" defaults to 800x600 for normal DVI and this resolution can't be changed.

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
is this an Apple 30"

I didn't notice you saying that this is an Apple 30" display.

If so, who sold you a Mac Mini and a 30" display?

You also said it was origininally working at 800x600...

Can you get your hands on another computer, Mac or otherwise and try it on the same monitor?

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
Eidorian said:
What if it's just a 30" display? There's no mention it's an Apple one. I could be a TV for all we know.

Exactly. Then it wouldn't have a Dual-Link DVI conection would it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.