Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cisco697

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I bought a mac mini last year and cut Directv. I am totally happy with my mac mini and my loves it also. I tried at first to fix the black bars and was unsuccessful. She did not mind them and so i left it.

I have now tried again to fix them and need your help! I have a Sammy HL-S5086W and need to get rig of the black bars. I have downloaded Swithresx and with now luck i cannot figure out how to set the right parameters for my TV.

Please does anyone have my same problem and know how to help. I am DYING. I want to show off put my friends laugh cause it does not fit the screen.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I bought a mac mini last year and cut Directv. I am totally happy with my mac mini and my loves it also. I tried at first to fix the black bars and was unsuccessful. She did not mind them and so i left it.

I have now tried again to fix them and need your help! I have a Sammy HL-S5086W and need to get rig of the black bars. I have downloaded Swithresx and with now luck i cannot figure out how to set the right parameters for my TV.

Please does anyone have my same problem and know how to help. I am DYING. I want to show off put my friends laugh cause it does not fit the screen.

Are you outputting 1280 x 720 from the Mac Mini?

If so, then the TV thinks it's a different size/resolution and it is automatically resizing the picture. You need to scroll through the various modes on your TV.

Cinab1mt

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
I realize this is the Mac Mini section, but I am actually having the same issue with my MBP.

Whats the best way to get sizing, I have the color etc down. This was a question I was gonna ask about the new mac min as well. Does it detect the display and then resize accordingly? I have the 2010 MBP as well through HDMI to a 32'' Samsung. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I realize this is the Mac Mini section, but I am actually having the same issue with my MBP.

Whats the best way to get sizing, I have the color etc down. This was a question I was gonna ask about the new mac min as well. Does it detect the display and then resize accordingly? I have the 2010 MBP as well through HDMI to a 32'' Samsung. Any help would be great! Thanks!

No, you tell the mac mini what to output. Once you've done that, then adjust your TV.

cisco697

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Yes, on switchresx i am outputting 1280x720 on Snow leopard i use 720p because on 1080i it flickers to much looks weird.

i am looking to get rid of the black bars without having to overscan.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i can only tell you tv are not really up to the job as monitors (not all of them at least )
i for example have a g4 mini and a tv from polaroid , if i connect via dvi to hdmi port on the tv the resolution is perfect everything alright apart from that the tv doesnt sleep when the mini goes to sleep ,
but if i dare to connect to the vga port of the tv the sleeping problem is solved but the picture i can see is just to big for the display , means the desktop is bigger then the display so the apple and the spotlight are not accessible at the exact same resolution
i also have a spare tv (cheapish thingy from matsui ) it has a max resolution of 1280x800 according documents from the manufacturer , but surprise if i choose that resolution the tv says "out of range " but if i choose 1360x768 which according manufacturer handbook would be out of range it displays everything fine :confused:

so just play around and try different ports , my other tv from toshiba has for example hdmi, vga and dvi to choose from but here the same not every port displays the same resolution :confused:

cisco697

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Oceanside, CA
i can connect it via VGA and stretch it that way but HDMI looks way better.

Has anyone been able to get rid of the bars using switchresx?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
ah i guess i found the problem your samsung , its a rear projection tv not a lcd and not a plasma , so first turn of the "overscan" on the tv if possible on that samsung model as not all rear projectors offer that option as they are only meant to get display films from a dvd player , the monitor option is more or less only a compromise (sells better) ,but its important to to turn the overscan off to get picture mapping 1:1 +- a very small percentage , which means what goes in you will see on the screen in simple words
rear projection tv's are not really a good choice when it comes to using them as a monitor , .. its not the mini that cant bring a proper resolution to the tv its the tv that cant project in your case what he gets from the mini in the same way he gets it from the mini , it trys to project the best way he can with that overscan , the overscan is allright for watching films , but on a monitor you def want zero overscan if possible

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.