Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ellezk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
Ok, I don't know if I'll make much sense but:

When switching tabs, the window switches by moving to the side.

Is there a way to change the settings so that switching tabs happens more seamlessly/instantly?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
How are you switching tabs and what browser?

With Safari, Control-Tab switches browser tabs just fine.

Ellezk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
How are you switching tabs and what browser?

With Safari, Control-Tab switches browser tabs just fine.
Sorry, I definitely didn't word this properly.

I don't mean switching between internet tabs, but open windows on the mac. For example, using command + tab to switch between safari and microsoft word.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Sorry, I definitely didn't word this properly.

I don't mean switching between internet tabs, but open windows on the mac. For example, using command + tab to switch between safari and microsoft word.

Weird. Command-Tab to switch between apps behaves normally on my system. Seems you're somehow triggering split-view.

I'm guessing some setting's been switched? Check through SystemPreferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts

Ellezk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
Weird. Command-Tab to switch between apps behaves normally on my system. Seems you're somehow triggering split-view.

I'm guessing some setting's been switched? Check through SystemPreferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts
Oh my god. I again failed to explain properly.

So when I switch between the applications, they do switch properly - there are no two applications open on the screen - but the "fade"? the transition? happens by moving to the side (like you know in powerpoints??) Am I making any sense at all???

Anyway, it's really not a big deal. But I'm used to the application switches happening without any transition on Windows

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Oh my god. I again failed to explain properly.

So when I switch between the applications, they do switch properly - there are no two applications open on the screen - but the "fade"? the transition? happens by moving to the side (like you know in powerpoints??) Am I making any sense at all???

Anyway, it's really not a big deal. But I'm used to the application switches happening without any transition on Windows
What you describe sounds like switching desktops rather than switching applications (within one desktop).

Do you have both applications on the same desktop? Or perhaps one is on a 2nd desktop and thus you're really switching desktops?

When I have Safari and Mail open on one desktop, for example, one atop the other, Command-Tab switches which is in front with no animations.

Hit F3 to bring up Mission Control and see if you have stuff on the two desktops. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204100

I believe animations of desktop switching can be turned off -

Ellezk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
Thanks! I "reduced motion" on accessibility + display preferences, and it fixed it!

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Nope! Switching between open applications!

Bring up Mission Control with F3, then move mouse cursor up to the top of the screen to show the two desktops.

Is one of them completely empty or are there apps on each?

FYI - when you make an app fullscreen it does so as an additional desktop. So you're still switching desktops.

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 3.25.06 PM.png

mick2

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2017
UK
If you make an app 'full screen' by clicking on the green traffic light button top left, the app moves to its own virtual desktop.

The OP is probably full screening their apps this way, which in turn makes command-tab do the sideways animation as the OP is effectively moving between virtual desktops, each of which contains just one app.

Edit: @deeddawg beat me to it

Reactions: deeddawg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.