Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reikon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
In addition Java has a crapload of built in libraries that Objective-C doesn't have.

:p

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
reikon said:
In addition Java has a crapload of built in libraries that Objective-C doesn't have.

Yeah, I must admit that I love the libraries that come with Java.

I sent a PM that should solve the problem if I was able to explain the culprit clearly enough.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
reikon said:

Use those then.

{edit}Maybe I should make that sound less beligerent. Are there alternatives to cocoa you could use? Maybe not now but in future projects...

reikon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
caveman_uk said:
Use those then.

{edit}Maybe I should make that sound less beligerent. Are there alternatives to cocoa you could use? Maybe not now but in future projects...

Of course, theres Swing, AWT, SWT, even wxWidgets if I wanted. But I want a sheetlicious Cocoa app. :p I familiar with Java's other interfaces fine, I just wanted to make a mac-only app, and make it sexy.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
reikon said:
Of course, theres Swing, AWT, SWT, even wxWidgets if I wanted. But I want a sheetlicious Cocoa app. :p I familiar with Java's other interfaces fine, I just wanted to make a mac-only app, and make it sexy.
If you want to just use Java libraries, I would probably make the project Objective-C, do everything you can in the Nib, then just use the Cocoa-Java bridge from the other side, by calling into your Java methods to do back-end work.

EDIT: Not sure how this works in terms of setting up your project because if you create an Objective-C project, you won't have the Java libraries and runtime loaded by default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.