Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fx2frp64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2023
Hi everyone,

I have MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) with MacOS ver. 12.6.6

I have an ultra-wide LG monitor built-in speaker connected to the laptop via HDMI through a Ugreen USB-C Dongle.

The built-in speaker sound quality is good enough with decent bass when connected to my Dell laptop running windows 10 pro. But the speaker sounds pretty bad and super flat when connected to the MacBook.

The system says it is through the DisplayPort (notice the attached screenshot) but the monitor is actually connected to the HDMI port on the dongle.

I tried connected the laptop directly thought USB-C to DisplayPort cable (DP over USB-C), same sound quality issue.

I did a lot of research but I couldn't figure out why. I wasn't able to control the volume from MacOS so I installed MonitorControl which works pretty good.

Is there a way to force the operating system to output good/decent sound quality through the monitor's built-in speakers?

Appreciate the help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 6.38.00 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 6.38.00 pm.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 111

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Did you verify that the display speakers can output good/decent sound quality by using a different computer? It probably can't get better than what you've experienced so far.

fx2frp64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2023
Thanks joevt for responding, yes as I mentioned in the post

The built-in speaker sound quality is good enough with decent bass when connected to my Dell laptop running windows 10 pro. But the speaker sounds pretty bad and super flat when connected to the MacBook.

Did you verify that the display speakers can output good/decent sound quality by using a different computer? It probably can't get better than what you've experienced so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.