Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016
I have an external monitor for my iMac. I am looking for a new one. The way that this display wakes over displayport is incredibly obnoxious. I'll walk up to my iMac, hit a key to wake the screen up, and by the time my Watch has unlocked my computer, the external display has just gotten its queue to wake up. At this point, I'm at the desktop, and my whole screen goes black as all of my windows initialize and reposition themselves for the extended desktop.

My main question here is: do the Ultrafine LG displays—which utilize a true thunderbolt 3 signal—instantly wake themselves from sleep synchronous with a built in iMac or MacBook Pro display?

I'm pretty sure that any displayport or hdmi display will have this clunky, terrible wake flow, but I feel like thunderbolt should be different. I can't go on with this display any more: altering screen backlight requires you to enter the display's hardware hud interface, the pixel density is all out of wack in comparison to my iMac's 5K screen, and this screen wake nonsense makes me go mad. The ultrafines aren't perfect, but **** that's pretty much all we get south of a $5999 stand-less reference monitor apparently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.