Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LGRW3919

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
cupertino (no joke)
What is the best route to go:

I will be purchasing a Rev. C PowerMac in August and i don't know what to do regarding monitors.
a) 19 or 20" LCD...I can seem to find a decent 19" LCD with resolution more than 1280x1024 and i want something more like 1600x1200. Does anybody have a good monitor in mind, in the sub 5 or 6 hundred range?

b) Dual 17s w/ Radeon 9800 XT

What's the cheaper way to go? I figure both will be nice in the end but I am on somewhat of a budget. (Nothing more than ~2700)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'd say that a good 20 inch monitor would be generally cheaper than two 17 inch ones but I could well be wrong. I'm basing this on general Australian prices which aren't a great indication. Anyway, I suppose it should come down to whether you want more pixels on the horizontal plane (side to side) or vertically (top to bottom). The dual screens will give you a very wide viewing range but a relatively limited height. Also, from a personal taste perspective, I can't stand dual monitors because:

a) the offset dock/half menu bar
b) the screen edge being in the middle of my desktop

but that's just me. ;)

SonComet

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2004
No one knows what prices or even really which monitors will be available at what price in August. And for that matter no one knows if the G5 towers will still be offered at 2ghz in rev c. If you were buying right now, then the only monitor that would fit the bill would be the dell 2005fpw or 2001fp when on sale. And you can't find 19" lcds at above 1280x1024 because they only make them at 1280x1024; unfortunate, but true. Also, that's awhile to wait, so it's best to just sit back, relax, and plain your purchase when you have the funds. I know it's hard, but trust me it wastes a lot less time to not think about it so much until you can actually buy it, lol. I am guilty of the same thing though, I stare at 42" plasmas daily, well I did until I reminded myself that the ones I lust after today will be old generation by the time I can afford one later this year. Now I don't feel so inclined to look at them anymore, heh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.