Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

on the rocks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2022
Hello everyone,

Somehow my screen colours of my just one year old MacBook M1air are distorted!?

To be honest it has freaked the living sh*t out of me. Because I’m very gentle with my laptop as it means a lot to me.

The odd thing is that when I reboot it the colours are actually back to normal until I log in to my account.

I will describe what practically happened before the colours started to change. It happened when I switched from watching a series on the Apple TV+app to system settings to change the cursor size. The reason I do this is that with certain Apple+ series the brightness of the movie adjust itself when the subtitles appear on the screen. It is a work around solution (via www.discussions.apple…). Just before I was going to change the cursor size the colours of the screen started to distort!? Maybe I clicked subconsciously on a setting?

Does anyone knows what’s going on? I hope it’s a software issue and not hardware.
Thanks for your replies in advance.

IMG_1714.jpeg

IMG_1712.jpeg

Last edited:

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Unless someone knows what the problem is, the usual process is to check if it is your account only or system wide. Create a new user and try to reproduce there. If it does not happen there, then it is your account settings. If it happens there, it is system wide and could be hardware or system issue.
I am not sure what the issue is, not clear what is wrong with those pictures. Is this issue with HDR (high dynamic range, 10bit,...) ? I find behavior of system with HDR enabled weird as with normal videos the screen looks washed out.
You may want to check what the settings in Displays in System settings are. May be you have wrong Preset or True tone settings? No idea, but something to check.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Not 100% sure, but it kind of looks like the contrast on the screen is too high?

If so, look in System Preferences > Accessibility > Display > Display contrast (it's a slider the should be dragged all the way to the left = normal).

on the rocks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2022
Not 100% sure, but it kind of looks like the contrast on the screen is too high?

If so, look in System Preferences > Accessibility > Display > Display contrast (it's a slider the should be dragged all the way to the left = normal).
This was the cause! I think that I have accidentally tapped the mousepad and therefore changed the display contrast.

Thanks for the help mate:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.